Chapter Sixteen

...

"When are you going to tell me everything about P'Pool?"

Air grabbed Chess's fingers as the button slipped through the hole.

...

Chess tried to get his fingers loose,  but Air wouldn't let them go.

"It's ok, P',  I'm not a kid.  Just tell me and then I won't bug you anymore."

"I want to tell you everything.  My friend said it's the best way for you and me to start."

Air finally released the digits.  

Chess rolled a bit and laid on his back.  He exhaled and started to speak.  Air could hear the nervousness in his voice.

"I've only ever had one boyfriend."

"P'Pool,  right?"

Chess turned his head.  

This time it was Air who rolled.  He moved onto his side and close to Chess.  Air nervously put his hand on Chester's tummy,  the same way Chess had done only minutes before.

"Did someone tell you that?"

"No."

Air looked at his own hand as it rested on Chess.  "I figured it out myself."

Chess couldn't believe how subdued Air remained.  He wasn't like the crazed and jealous boyfriends he'd seen in television series.

He also didn't shy away from the question:  "Do you love him, P'?"

Chester wouldn't dare look at Air.  He kept his eyes on the ceiling,  but before he could speak,  a tear glided from the corner of his eye.  It raced down his cheekbone and directly into his ear.

"Yes, Air,  I love him very much."

Air was even and calm.  It helped Chess feel that way too.  Chess used a finger and wiped the tickling tear away. 

Chess heard Air suck in a chestful of breath.  "P',  I'm sorry."  

Air started to sputter and cry.  He sat up and used both of his hands to wipe his tears. 
"I'm the reason you sent him away.  Someone you love so much."

Chess couldn't catch his breath.  He didn't want Air to react this way.  

"No, Air,  it was foolish of me to think I could keep him here forever.  It was a promise I made both to him and his parents"

Chess needed to say more.  Air's tears were killing him.

"Pool's parents have forgiven me.  They understand how dangerous he's become."