Chapter Eleven

...

...

Things could not possibly get worse.  He not only broke a sacred promise and sent Pool away,  Chess felt he'd lost the love of his best friend and supposed guardian,  Pilot. The final straw,  a large chunk of his family home had been destroyed.  

For Chester,  the only luck he'd had lately,  came from Air.  

Air felt like the kind of luck that can change a person's life. The kind that doesn't happen every day.

...

The older man held his hand out so that Chess could get up from the awkward picnic table he and Air were sitting at.
The couple seemed happy for Chester's invitation and thanked him more than once.  

The woman was clinging to Chess's bicep.  "You know the arrangement.  We'll come to yours, if, you make an appearance at ours."   She quickly rambled off several names,  one female and three male.  
She giggled at her own tease.  "You should bring your new love.  They'll be so jealous."

The lady let go of Chester's arm and moved around to face him.  "Look at this.  Were you in a hurry today?  You've missed a button-hole,  you're crooked."

She busily fixed him up and patted his chest with her flat hand.  This moment with Chester seemed to remind her of something or someone. 
When she lifted her eyes to Chess again,  they overflowed with tears. 
She returned to a subject,  Chester thought they had finished with.

"We understand Son.  After what Pool did to your house..."   The lady's voice trembled.  "Our friends,  your mom and dad,  what would they say?"

Chess,  a man who was never short of words,  mumbled something and then talked close to her ear.

Air leaned around in hopes that he might hear.  He noticed the old man doing the same.

Chess and the lady started to laugh together.  His smile was bright and he seemed to have her in the palm of his hand.  She took the handkerchief he offered and dabbed her eyes and cheeks.  Chess told her to keep it.