Chapter Twenty-One

...

What started as a wonderful day of celebration, turned into a literal nightmare.  Things are still confused and scattered.  Everyone who worked on the farm has had to find other accommodation and new employment for many.

This year gave them plenty of reasons to rejoice.  The harvest had been the most productive in the farm's history and combined with that,  Chester and Air would share one of the happiest days anyone could imagine. 

Thanks to Green and his creativity,  a large section of the grass was cut and carved out along the river. From the sky, the shape would be that of a heart.  This is where Chess and Air stood facing the water and the moonlight that lit it.  The monks witnessed as the couple agreed to share their lives and all that that meant. 

Chester may have talked at length about how amazing Air was.  He probably talked about how much he loves Air,  a little too long.  Chess was alight and blissfully happy.

Air's words were simple,  but the boy knew exactly how to get to Chester's heart.  He told Chess and all those gathered,  that Chess was the first person he'd fallen in love with, and, that Chester would be the last.

It worked.  The crowd began to clap and Chester picked Air off of his feet.  

They were completely alone in this perfect moment.  The smiling and applauding audience were silent in the background.  The flickering torches stood still. 

For those brief seconds,  it was just Chess and Air in the world.

The beautiful, pin-drop moment came crashing down.  Air's feet were still not on the ground when the angry and anonymous voice rang out: 
"How can you marry two people?  What about Pool?  Has he agreed to this?"

The people parted and all heads turned toward the voice.

At the furthest point,  and the very back of the guests,  Ing occupied the highest tip of the hill.  

His feet were spread apart and his suit jacket and dress shirt were open.   

Everyone saw the same thing.  Ing's bared chest glistened with sweat and he looked deranged.

Pool's mother was two meters away from the newly married couple.  She shouted up the hill and at Ing's torchlit face.  Her own raged like that of a fierce tiger mom.

"My son knows all about this wedding."  She was angry and hurt.  "How dare you bring up his name!"

Pool's father grabbed his wife.