Chapter Three

...

Ten-year-old Del had been sleeping on his father's lap for at least the last couple of hours.  Chess was achingly happy when they pulled in the drive at home,  his thigh hurt from the boy's heavy head.  He lifted it carefully and rested it on the leather seat.  Chess got out of the car and then picked Del up in his arms.  The little guy's legs dangled.

He called out:  "Fair,  Fair,  take him straight to his room.  He's exhausted and I'm getting a cramp in my leg.  

Chess walked around the house rubbing his thigh while he waited for Fair to return.  It was perfectly tidy and exactly the way he'd left it.  He sniffed the lemonwood polish.

"Did you guys have fun, P'?  Is that why Nong'Del is so tired?"

Chess worked a lot,  the time he did spend with Del,  was precious to the boy.  Chess snickered:  "He's going to have a sore rump tomorrow when he wakes up.  He spent every moment he could on that horse,  literally hours.  He didn't want to get off when it was time to leave.

Fair was beaming.  It was great news to hear that they'd spent some quality time together.  Nong'Del smelled strongly of farm animals,  but he was far too tired to bathe.  Fair made a mental note,  he would arrange to have the boy's sheets changed and laundered tomorrow.

"When I spoke with you last,  you said you'd found a teacher.  Where is he?"

Chess looked out the window and over at the small cottage where he'd kept all the other teachers he'd tried."

Fair nodded and preemptively answered his question.  "And yes,  he passed everything on the checklist by far,  and more."

"And more?  Like what?"

"Well,  he speaks three languages,  for one."

Chess seemed satisfied. He straightened his shirt and ran his fingers through his hair, pushing it back. Chess walked out without saying a word.  

Fair didn't ask because he already knew where he was going.