Chapter Six

...

... late Sunday afternoon ...

Little Joe's mother offered Air a ride. He was on the path that came down the hill from the temple. "I'm going to get Joe at your place now anyway. Hop in and I'll save you the trip...  It's hot, aren't you sweaty?"

She had to ask because the boy looked cool as a cucumber. His neckline wasn't damp and there were no wet spots under his arms. It didn't seem possible on a scorcher like today.

Air could see why Fair liked her. She was easy to talk to, and maybe the first woman Air ever met that didn't make him nervous. The thing that Air like the most, this lady was honest to a fault.

Air's butt was barely on the seat. "So tell me cutie, now that you have all the boys on the farm spinning in their beds, which one of them are you going to choose?"

She mainly kept her eyes on the road, but she winked at Air when she said it.

This lady would have none of Air's avoidance. "Don't be shy with me. I've been around here a long time.  I know all about the animal doctor and his crush on you."

She laughed when she saw Air's reaction. "Nobody says you have to keep them, and you can always choose another one."

None of these comments were doing anything to change Air's bashfulness. He didn't bother to reply.

She swerved for a big pothole and rambled on without waiting for Air to answer. "Man, if I was your age and in a situation like that..." Little Joe's mother slipped off into a haze momentarily.
She turned the steering wheel hard and pulled into the driveway.
Del and Joe were playing up by the house.
Fair was sitting in a lawn chair watching them.

She patted his shoulder as he opened his door. "It was really nice to meet you, Nong'Air."

Air made a respectful wai for her. She returned it with an unpracticed one.

Joe's mom smiled at Fair and pointed to Air. She whispered as if no one could hear her. "He's so adorable, what does Chester think? Have you posted night-time security at his door?"

Typical kid, Joe would prefer to stay. He put up a bit of a fuss but eventually hugged his buddy Del, Fair, and finally Air. He waved from the car window until they turned on the road and couldn't be seen anymore.

...

Green came around the corner of the house. He put his huge arm around Air. Once again he spoiled Fair's news before he had a chance to explain.

"Let's go Nong. Dinner tonight is going to be fancy-schmancy."  He winked at his boyfriend Fair.  "I think this must have something to do with you Nong,  ah,  the extra nice food,  I mean."