Chapter Four

...

Nong'Del had a friend that lived on a neighbouring farm.  The lad's mother drove him over to have a playdate with Del.  She talked out of the window to Fair and told him she'd wait for his text.

Air could tell they knew each other well.  They spoke so casually.
Fair called out as she was leaving:  "We might keep him overnight."

Little Joe was shorter than Del.  He stood directly in front of Fair and looked way up.  He made a wai and smiled at one of his favourite people.  Fair spoiled Nong'Joe and never said no to him.

The boy's mom waved nonchalantly.  "Be my guest."

P'Green and Air saw all of this from the doorway.  Del and his friend ran off.  Fair returned to the house with his glass of wine in hand.

The three of them went back out to the patio and sat again in their seats.  Fair used a remote and turned some music on.  Green lovingly rubbed the back of his neck.

P'Green talked Air into his first-ever glass of wine.  It stained his lips dark red and made him cuter than he already was.

A door opened behind him.  Air didn't turn to see who it was.

Fair pointed at the table full of dirty and empty dishes.  "Nong,  could you clear that up for us and tell cook it was delicious?"
Fair seemed to be teasing him:  "Did you make any of that?  Should I be thanking you?" (Nong was training in the kitchen.)

The boy wai'd and stepped around and in front of Air.  He started picking up the plates.  "I made the orange and onion salad P',  and I grilled the fish."

P'Green handed his plate across the table.  "Nong'Sky,  have you met the new teacher yet?"  Green held out his hand.  "This is Nong'Air,  you must be close in age."

Sky spoke before Air saw him:  "I haven't met Air yet,  but I've seen him lots of times when he's out walking.

Air's eyes shot from the wine glass in his hand,  to Sky's face and his neatly tied back hair.

The glass almost fell over and was saved by Green's speedy catch.  Air gasped.  His eyes filled with tears.  He pushed his chair back and raced for the front door.

All three of them were shocked by Air's sudden crisis, and the trio was each equally slow to react.  

Sky asked Fair and Green if he'd done anything wrong.  

Green tapped Fair's shoulder because he was ready to chase in Air's footsteps. 
"Give him some time love."

Fair went to the window and watched Air tread fast toward his part of the house.  "Ay, P'Green,  I don't like seeing him cry."

Green helped Sky set the plates back down.  Sky was a nice kid and now he was upset too.  He repeated his question and asked the older men if it was his fault.