Chapter 10 - Footsteps of singlehood

WT 10

Heng Zhen Gan eyed his student. "Why did you not ask for your marriage fortune as well? It is the right time for you to start considering your marriage."

Not even an hour had passed after Liu Bing's return and Prince Heng had already started to ask about his trip to the temple. Liu Bing felt that his teacher was acting rather strange lately. He could not make sense of his teacher's actions. Was he lonely and trying to hint something to his student?

Such as telling him to not follow in his footsteps of singlehood...?

Right after he thought of that, Liu Bing felt a rush of sympathy for his teacher's unrequited love. With his looks and prestige, he could easily pick a suitable wife from the crowd that will cherish and devoted to him. But alas, he was ruined by the Empress Dowager's beauty!

After knowing his student for years, how can Prince Heng not know what he was thinking? "Don't think up foolish things. You should start to consider your future well. Career is important, but don't let it take over your life."

Liu Bing nodded like a clever, obedient student. "I understand, teacher."

"A wife will be your supporter and stand beside you steadfastly. Household matters can also be left under her care and your burdens will lessen. A wife is very different from an assistant, for you can trust the former wholeheartedly."

Liu Bing's gaze on his teacher slowly changed as he silently listened to his teacher imparting advice about life.

"It is true that without any relatives, we are free to do anything. It is pitiful without family and it's important to continue our bloodline, but one should not focus too much on surnames."

Liu Bing looked confused, but also gradually dawned with understanding as his teacher's lecture went on.

"As long as you have more sons, there will be enough for both bloodlines to continue."

By now, Liu Bing already understood why his teacher was acting strange, such as pressing him to go to the temple and saying such things. Meeting Madam Wan and the subject of marriage was actually one topic in the end!

Liu Bing hesitantly asked, "Teacher, are you trying to match me with... Miss Wan...?"

"You just realize?" Prince Heng's gaze was rather self-diminishing to Liu Bing.

"But we don't match!" Liu Bing protested, very flustered. He had never viewed Miss Wan as a potential wife, for they hardly know each other. The conversation mostly consisted of greetings or him passing his teacher's words.

To be honest, Miss Wan's personality was not really to his liking.

"Miss Wan is a simple, innocent girl, only that she expresses her love rather brazenly. It's not her fault that her way in conveying her feelings was seen as improper by others' narrow belief." Prince Heng eyed his student with knowing eyes.

Liu Bing hunched his back like a scared tortoise hiding in its shell. "Teacher, I understand that Miss Wan grew up as a courageous lady due to the teaching and influence of Mister Wan. But I'm not looking for a wife yet."

Although most fathers in noble families hardly interacted with their daughters, leaving their education to his wife or nanny, that was not the case for Mister Wan. Wan Ting was the only child of Mister and Madam Wan. They do feel disappointed in regard to Wan Ting's gender, but they did not love her any less. It was also understandable if Mister Wan taught his daughter some things that were usually shared with a son.

Word was also passed around that Mister Wan had hired a teacher to teach his daughter the basics of martial arts. Keeping a body healthy was just a front reason for allowing her to do so. The reason for Mister Wan doing, was it not because he does not want his daughter to be bullied, and to have the means to protect herself in face of danger?