Chapter 17 - Impossible to be together in this lifetime

WT 17 - Impossible to be together in this lifetime

"I merely acted so as a concerned elder."

His words were the truth. There was no hint from him of having any improper affection towards the younger woman by more than ten years' age difference.

The sudden question and the answer that came right after without a pause took Wan Ting by surprise that she does not have time or preparation to hide her honest reaction. The pain was like a spilled ink splashed vividly on her face and the shaking pupils that were filled with echoes of screams belonged to a heartbroken young woman...

... All of it was seen by Heng Zhen Gan. In the end, his doubt ended up being true.

Heng Zhen Gan wanted to say something to carefully dissuade the younger woman, but he did not know that his expression had already told her his honest opinion. His face had lost his previous approachability and it became so cold, indifferent, like a stranger that asked the other party to not get close to him.

Wan Ting's heart clenched in dread from seeing that expression that she had never known could hurt her this much. This was actually one of the situations that could predictably happen if she confessed her feelings to him, and she should have already been prepared for it.

But she could not prepare her heart for this moment.

She never thought she needed to because she had planned to hide her feelings from him as long as she could until she could finally make up her mind on what to do with her feelings. She had not expected her feelings to be discovered this easily, this unexpectedly, and this heartbreakingly. Prince Heng truly had no such feelings towards her at all, and now he was disgusted with her.

The knocks on the door broke into the tense atmosphere. "Teacher, I'm sorry to interrupt, but the magistrate officer is getting impatient. Should I ask for a reschedule?"

Feeling as if she was finally freed from the iciness that spread through her veins, she shook off the numbness and stood up with great effort. "No, I'm coming now."

Wan Ting did not look back and quickly rushed out. She did not know how her face looked like now, but it worked well in shutting up Sir Liu Bing, who silently led her to where the officer was waiting for her. Bao Hai stared at Prince Heng with a final glance before hurriedly chased after Wan Ting.

Facing the earnest-looking officer with full concentration, Wan Ting spoke out anything she recalled about last night's event, no matter how small that thing was. Surprisingly, Bao Hai was a good artist and took over in drawing all the faces he remembered seeing during his captivity. His drawing hand was steady, but his lips were tightly pursed, showing his revulsion towards those people he drew.

The officials finished taking their statement and Wan Ting also decided to leave as well, feeling as if she had gone through a whole day of intense pill forging. But Prince Heng stopped her by inviting them for dinner.

"Prince Heng is too kind, but my parents are waiting for us to have a meal together." Wan Ting could not muster a polite smile. The best she could do was having an expressionless face to avoid any negative emotions from leaking onto her face.

Yet, Prince Heng continued to persist. "I have already informed Mister and Madam Wan that I will send you back after the night meal."

Her head feels floaty as she broods over what he wanted to do. If he does not intend to return her feelings, why does he still entertain her? She had heard from others how unfriendly and indifferent he was towards those who had expressed their feelings for him.

And she could not forget that cold expression on his face earlier.

But that expression could not be seen on his face currently, not even a hint of it, and it made her wary. Wan Ting's mood immediately pummelled like a diving bird at the unknown danger, wanting to escape from this place as quickly as possible.