Chapter 15 - Can you be the one I trust?

WT 15 - Can you be the one I trust?

After passing the gifts they brought to some servants, Wan Ting and Bao Hai followed Sir Liu Bing around the wide manor. Wan Ting did not dare to look around, behaving like a proper guest.

Sir Liu Bing stopped before a door and announced, "Teacher, I have arrived with Miss Wan."

The reply was immediate. "Enter."

Sir Liu Bing pushed open the door and motioned for Wan Ting to enter first.

Although Wan Ting had not done any wrongdoings, she was still nervous about meeting Prince Heng, especially since she was aware of how she felt towards him. However, etiquette lessons helped her to portray a calm appearance and she stepped into the room without making any slip-ups.

"Greetings, Prince Heng."

Prince Heng truly gave her respect by standing up to receive her. "It's good that you are doing well, Miss Wan."

Fortunately, the white powder did well in hiding most of her dark eye bags from view. She could have taken a pill related to beautifying, but none of them works as well as the white powder to produce an immediate effect to hide the eye bags. However, she could not hide her red eyes and she left them that way. To look completely normal after the event last night would be suspicious and unable to gather sympathy.

"I apologize for unable to greet you yesterday. My visit today is related to yesterday's event, hoping to answer any question that will help the magistrate with the investigation."

"Your safety and comfort are the most important. It does not matter if you take some time to rest. However, the magistrate will be thankful for your cooperation."

Wan Ting's heart lifted slightly from Prince Heng's considerate words. Even if it was spoken out of consideration as a basic courtesy, it still warms her heart.

"I will invite the magistrate officials and painter over," Liu Bing suggested, which was approved.

Before Sir Liu Bing left, Wan Ting spoke up. "Prince Heng, can I speak to you first before the magistrate officials?"

A sword-shaped eyebrow lifted upward at her request. Could it be there were sensitive issues that the magistrate better not knew related to the attack last evening?

Regardless, Prince Heng agreed. "Invite them over. If they arrive early, entertain them until we are done."

Liu Bing nodded and left, a little curious over what Miss Wan wanted to say to his teacher.

"Please, have a seat." Prince Heng invited the guests over to the round table. There were already some light, dry pastries prepared with the comforting scent of hot tea to moisten their dry throat from their journey.

Prince Heng eyed the boy following Wan Ting's every move like a little chick. Knowing that Miss Wan was adjusting her state before speaking, he spoke to the child. "Have you decided what to do?"

Yesterday, he had spoken to Bao Hai, who revealed that he was an orphan without any relatives to offer him shelter. Heng Zhen Gan had offered him a safe place with the magistrate until the case closed and after the danger had passed, to occupy a position in his manor, but the young child disagreed.

Heng Zhen Gan knew the child would need time to calm down and think deeper about his future. He asked the question just to probe his thoughts.

"I will stay with big sister," Bao Hai said with a sticky voice and his hand grabbed onto Wan Ting's sleeves with dependency.

Getting the meaning behind the child's gesture, Wan Ting finally speaks of the true purpose of her visitation to pull the conversation back to her. "I have a maidservant, Chu Jin. She died last night, from my sword."