Chapter 4 - Offer you some discount

A/N: Chapter came late because this writer is busy watching 'Sweet Home'...

WT 4 - Offer you some discount

Mister Wan decided to open a bookstore and book copying services to support his family. He still has some savings left, enough to buy a shop and pay for their meals for three months. He could only hope that the business will be good and pay him back the cost he spent to start a business. 

Madam Wan helped out the financial burden by pawning some of her jewelleries she no longer wears and auctioning some expensive vases under her husband's approval. There was still some money from selling her pills so Wan Ting took out her savings to help out as well.

“Wan Ting, there’s no need for you to take out your own money. Your father isn’t that lacking…”

“Mother, I want to help father and you. About the debt… I already know about it.”

Facing her determined daughter, Madam Wan reluctantly accepted her daughter’s money. She knew how hard her husband was facing now and wanted to help. If their daughter wants to help, she should not stop her.

The Wan family were also intending to move to a smaller house fit for their small number, and also to save money from selling the large manor.

When Wan Ting shared her plan to continue forging pills, her parents felt helpless. How could they not know their daughter was doing this for them?

Instead of working occasionally as an external supplier, Wan Ting planned to ask for a permanent, day to day basis where the pay will be higher. She had previously refined some pills when she had the time and sold them to Fruity Herb shop. The money was good, but it was not a steady income.

"I still want to see you get married, Wan Ting," Madam Wan scolded her headstrong daughter with a sigh.

"Mother, my marriage can be dealt with later. Right now, it's urgent that we have some money in our hand. Who would dare to marry me if I have no money?"

"Let her do what she wants," Mister Wan's words surprised them. He knew that his daughter's words were right. "No need to work so hard. There is still your dad and mom here."

"Hmm, I know." Wan Ting may say that, but she had long decided to work as much as she could and earn more money!

While they were planning what to do in detail, they suddenly got an unexpected visitor.

"Duke- Prince Heng!" Mister Wan greeted. Just a few days ago, they heard from the grapevine that the Emperor had bestowed Duke Heng the 'Prince' title and a profitable rice land. 

He was now at the position no one other than the royal family dared to offend!

In addition to that, if the Eighth Prince successfully became the next Emperor, Prince Heng will come out from his retirement and return once again as their Prime Minister!

"No need to be polite. Just treat me as a friend offering a business deal with you," Duke Heng nodded amiably after sitting down.

"Business?"

"I heard you are looking to rent a shop? I happen to have some empty shops in my hand. I can offer you some discount if you are interested."

Such a good offer came just at the right time!

Mister Wan did not hesitate to agree after visiting the location of the shop, even if their debt to Prince Heng increased. He was no longer an official, but an inexperienced businessman. The shop was a street behind the golden street, so it was considered as the second tier location. 

Prince Heng turned to Wan Ting that had followed along to look at the shop. "I heard Miss Wan is planning to be a full time pill maker?"

"Yes." Wan Ting was amazed at how much Prince Heng had known about their current situation. How many spies had he placed around the place?

"I happen to be the landlord of the Fruit Herb shop. That's why I heard about you."

At Prince Heng's explanation, Wan Ting was embarrassed at how far she had assumed about him. "Is that so."

She had planned to stay away from him, but with him being her father's landlord and her possibly employment place's landowner, they will bound to meet some time occasionally.

Mister Wan offered to buy Prince Heng a meal as a thanks which he accepted, much to Liu Bing's surprise.

His teacher was a hidden hermit and does not like socializing unless necessary to maintain his image. But socializing with the Wan family was not necessary, was it not?

Mister Wan and Madam Wan did not think much about Prince Heng's acceptance, only that they were happy he was willing to have a good relationship with them. After the meal, Prince Heng quickly left in a rush and Wan Ting finally relaxed. Eating on the same table with such a man was truly difficult to pass time.

The owner of Fruity Herb quickly sends back a word to Wan Ting, saying she got the job and she could start tomorrow. The previous owner she had worked with before was no longer there, and replaced with a much younger man with a disarming smile that will make the customer feel special. 

With a light mood, Wan Ting woke up early and set out to her new workplace with Chu Jin following her as an escort, only for her trip to and back from work. That was the only way Madam Wan will stop worrying about her safety.

Surprisingly, Wan Ting had also received countless invitations for gathering from the nobility circle, which she knew was without good intention. Despite her upfront personality, she does not have sincere friends, especially after she had declared her heartfelt feelings to Long Shan. 

Ladies were taught to be poise, humble and mild mannered. It was especially so to have their marriage partner decided by the head of their family. Her conduct made others afraid to hang out with her, least their reputation was affected as well. 

As someone that was deemed to be behaving inappropriately, no noble ladies wanted to be around her, so Wan Ting had not received any invitation for years. So how could she suddenly be so sought after?

They just wanted to mock her for liking a traitor or pick apart her father’s bribery case! 

With a scowl, she rejected all invitations without much politeness. Since her parents decided to open a shop and no longer mingle around the official circle, there was no need to force herself to be civilized.

However, fate does not let her off that easily.

Right in front of the Fruity Herb shop was her eye sore nemesis, with her eye catching mole at the corner of her mouth. Fanning herself lightly with beautifully drawn peach trees on her folding fan, her sharp shaped eyes locked onto Wan Ting, her gaze challenging. 

Wan Ting calmed herself down and closed the distance between them. She could have ignored the other person outright, but she was now in public and should not make her reputation worsen. She had heard people talking bad about her parents for having a daughter like her.

She must not behave poorly and affect her father’s shop. 

“I was wondering who was the noble pill forger that the Fruity Herb shop had employed, but it turns out to be you? I will have to talk to the owner and stop him from making a mistake.”

Wan Ting slowly smiled, a perfect picture of politeness without a hint of anger from being belittled. “Miss Sheng is here to have the chance to encounter Prince Heng?”

Sheng Wan Xiang’s crush on Prince Heng Zhen Gan was not exactly a secret, yet she was not mocked for it for she had not boldly confessed her feelings to the man she adored. However, she would always find a chance to coincidentally cross paths with Prince Heng, and even learned his favourites so that she will have topics to discuss with him.

Such as the paper folding fan which Sheng Wan Xiang took a liking to carrying around and took every opportunity to show it off.

No one does not know Prince Heng always has a folding fan with him, and has a wide collection too. There were also some he had personally drawn with his own written poems on it. 

Sheng Wan Xiang was merely one of the many ladies that had their heart fallen for the great Prince Heng, but she was one of the persistent one even after knowing he only had the Empress in his heart. Even with such a degree of difficulty, she was not afraid, because it means he was even more worthy for her to capture!

Having her intention exposed, Sheng Wan Xiang’s face lightly blushed, but she did not step back. “I’m also a pill forger and will ask the owner to pick between us. I’m here to tell you to give up early, for the owner will be a fool not to pick me.”