Chapter 16 - But you are a rarity

WT 16 - But you are a rarity

Heng Zhen Gan turned his attention to Bao Hai, who remained silent while the adults were talking. "Could you tell me what you are?"

Bao Hai's whole body shook fiercely and his arm accidentally hit the corner of the table. But he does not react to the collision, as if he does not feel it. He stared at Prince Heng with guarded eyes, his posture in defense ready to fight if needed.

Prince Heng continued, "Your disguise is only enough to fool non-cultivators and lower-ranked cultivators."

But not Heng Zhen Gan, the fourth rank cultivator. He could sense unnaturalness from Bao Hai, but unable to see past his disguise. "I can smell white lotus flowers from you." His first guess was Bao Hai to be a flower demon.

"You are from a sect?" Bao Hai's face quickly lost most of its color and his eyes looked like one that was being cornered.

"No, nor do I have any intention of giving you to any sect." After a moment, Prince Heng continued honestly. "I prefer to keep good things to myself than sharing them without a good return."

Clearly, Prince Heng's answer was not a good one to Bao Hai, for even his lips lost their color with his panic. He turned to look at Wan Ting, his last option of seeking help from.

It was not that she does not want to help the pitiful looking boy, but she trusted Prince Heng more than Bao Hai who she just met yesterday, even if his advice were given to her earlier with kind intention. Not to mention, she was also curious who exactly was Bao Hai that the evil sect would kidnap him.

But she still made an attempt to calm him down. "Don't worry, Prince Heng would never do an inhumane thing, even if you are not a human."

Wan Ting's smile filled with the intention to reassure Bao Hai was useless, as it was worth nothing to him.

Prince Heng knew that the child was currently treating him the same as his kidnappers. "I have no intention of abusing or dissecting you. I will hire you the same way as my servants, with wages, food, clothing, and a shelter provided."

Those things were not Bao Hai's priority. "I will stay with Wan Ting."

"That is your choice. But I need to know what you are, and why that sect wanted you. I also need to know if you will not harm Miss Wan for your own survival."

He cared for her. Wan Ting squeezed her hands hidden under her sleeves, struggling not to show the joy on her face.

Bao Hai was not experienced with humans, but his encounter with them was not pleasant. Twice he had been betrayed by those humans he believed to care for him. The first betrayal had him lose all the treasures belonging to his master in his secret realm. The second betrayal took away his freedom and vitality. Will his third encounter with humans change his dreadful fate, or will he once again be locked away and suffer an even worse encounter than his previous two?

Bao Hai was tired of being harmed and wanted to believe this was the favorable opportunity given to him. Even if he wants to leave, where would he go? Outside the secret realm was a world full of unknown and it gave him a deep fear that could not be erased.

The only thing he could hold on tight to was the woman with Flame Spirit, who will be able to help him regain his former strength and vitality. Bao Hai decided to gamble his remaining life on trusting Wan Ting.

Once he thought of this step, he realized he does not have much to lose anymore and forgo his hesitation. "... I am the tenth-grade Soul Locking pill."

The tenth-grade Soul Locking pill's purpose was to save someone very close to dying and just like its name, chaining down the soul to prevent it from being guided away to the afterlife until the body was healed. Once the body was recovered, the soul will be released back to the body.