Chapter 13

~Dylan~

8 pm

"Dylan. Are you on the way?" Maya's voice glazed over the phone while the crowd around her continued to chatter. Maya was the head of the internship- and one of the closest people in my life- which automatically made her more than familiar with my tendency to not follow the clock.

"Yeah. I'll be there in 10." My jaw clenched, as Blair huddled me to leave.

"You're already late, but alright. Do you need me to order? Just so that the main course comes quicker?" Maya continued over the phone as I whispered to Blair."Bye."

"Bye. Leave." Blair giggled, as I bolted out the door, and gave Maya an answer.

"Get me- a steak?-" I said the first item that came to my mind.

"Which one? There's London Broil."She spoke in her British accent. "Ribeye, Sirloin-"

"Order anything that comes in beef Maya." I sterned, as I headed down the stairs- there was really no point of the elevator when they put it on the other end of the floor.

"Well, they're all beef Dylan."She mocked.

I pinched my eyebrows."Get me the Broil."

"Okay. Don't keep me waiting." She teasingly flirted, as I cut the call- I knew her flirting didn't mean anything- she was older, bossier, and married.

I dragged my feet across the cemented apartment floor, as I wondered whether this dinner was even important enough?

I knew it was.

It was for the internship- a last-minute plan to finalize everything before the program started. Truth be told, that was the excuse everyone made up to go for a fancy outing. Now of course, I more than enjoyed spending an evening out, raising a glass of champagne to my friends, and following up on the next best deal in the market- the last one was just to stay abreast with what was going on. It was one of the very few things I'd thank my dad for- this insatiable need to know about foreign affairs and the next big marketing plan, before it even comes out. It wasn't in my field to have to know that, but like I said, I'd forever be grateful to him for it.

On a separate topic, I just felt weirdly affected by Blair lately, and not in the way I would have liked. Our lines were blurrier than usual, and while it was hopeless to even go in that direction, I had to admit- it had crossed my mind a few times.

I found myself smirking, as my car tires swerved right past the police station. It was a fun little prank that my head liked to play- break the law, just in front of the people who control it- that is when you know you can get away with your stuff.

My little delinquency had to come to an end though, as I drifted right outside the brick walled hotel that had a palace exterior.

I humbly stepped out, as the valet took my car, and pointed me in the direction of the entrance. It wasn't hard to locate the silhouette elevator, as my feet led me to the door, ignoring the extortionate paintings, and lining that they had invested on the walls.

Thankfully, the elevator was empty, and after pushing the rooftop button, I reached the floor and headed out. I was greeted by a waitress dressed in black and white, who assisted me in spotting my group- of course, they were sitting aside- smokers have a tendency to do that.

I hastily snuck up on the ginger, as I snatched the lighted cig that was loosely gripped around his tattooed finger.

"What the-" He slipped his words back in, only to let out a slightly more offensive remark.

"Bastard." He mouthed as he got up to hug me.

"We all heard that Chuck." Maya reprimanded as she waved across the table to me.