Chapter 46

"Why are you still studying?" Lexi practically jumped onto the bed, making a mess of the notes ٰI had just begun to sort out.

"Because I have a test tomorrow."I pushed her off, as she grumbled, while I pressed the paper and stared back at my second year questions about the first chapter of law.

There was a very simple explanation to why I was still stuck on this subject, and not art, and that was; mismanagement. Let me fill you in.

The weekend following would mark two weeks going by since I left Boston, and made my peace with sweat drenched Florida. It felt weird returning to the small dorms, humid weather and hostile people, but after Lexi came back, I was pretty much okay. We had a career fair the first week, and instead of sitting in law- that was swarming with my mom's friends pouring their hearts out- I sat in art, where I grew confused out of my mind.

It was interesting for sure, and I definitely felt a lot more inclined to it than I had ever been to corporate law, but after talking it out with my uni counselor, she told me that I needed to have informed the management before coming on campus. Still, she said she'd pull a few strings, but I'd have to attend one week of law classes, after which I could switch to art. So it wasn't mismanagement as such, because it was sorted, but it still would have helped if I could skip the week altogether- especially since they were having a quiz.

Apart from academics, there was no sign of Tyler on campus- and Lexi heard from a little someone that he had transferred elsewhere- Thank God!

There was Charlotte though, who I bumped into on my first day back. She was no longer spiteful towards me, there was actually a source of empathy in her eyes, and she came clean about what really happened between her and Tyler- after we broke up. I had to say I was a little shocked to find out that he came all the way to London with some far fetched theory about him being the victim, when he slid into her pants not two minutes after the text went off, but truth be told- I was relieved. It gave grace to my conscience that I made the right decision by not giving him a second chance.

Now campus drama aside, I stayed in touch with my family as promised- thrice a week phone calls, and a couple texts here and there. Everyone seemed to be doing great, and I was happy about that. It was only Dylan that I hadn't spoken to since I landed, and while I didn't want to push it, I couldn't help but miss him a little more everyday.

"Why are you even putting yourself through this? You drop the class on Monday so failing one quiz isn't going to matter." Lexi pointed out, and I wanted to give her the truth.

Because it keeps my mind off calling him. But I decided to go with a lie. "Because I don't want people to think I left the subject because I was bad at it."

"I think they already know that."She taunted me, as I scorned her.

"Anyway." She broke into a smile. "I have to go out so do you mind coming with me?"

"I do mind actually." I looked at her, as she glared with utmost disappointment. "Where?" I gave up, as her eyes lit up.

"A party."

"No." I cut her off, as she whined.

"You'll regret it." She tried again, but I politely refused. I wasn't sure why. A party would be the perfect way to get my mind off him, but then again, I never really fit in with the people here. Dylan's friends were just so much easier. I hated thinking that- because I sounded like one of those girls that only hung out with their boyfriend's friends, and had none of her own, but I couldn't help it. They were nicer, more fun and homelike.

"I'm sure I'll survive." I rolled my eyes, as she gave up and headed to the bathroom for a shower, mumbling a curse word at me.

"Your phone's buzzing." I yelled from my bed, but she probably didn't hear me, as I leapt to close the constant notifications on her phone, but something caught my eye. Something that made my body sick.

As long as she doesn't find out ;)
-Dylan.

I almost gagged as I held my palm to my mouth, not wanting to open her phone. Find out what?

The question pinched my skin like an injection, as I clicked the phone shut, and tried not to let my insecurities get the best of me. Thankfully though, Lexi walked out in her towel and drenched hair, to get my very reaction.

"What is this?" I held out her phone, as her face turned pale, making me point out the worst."I know you guys aren't hooking up, so please just tell me what it actually is before I lose it." The words threw up on their own, as I crossed my fingers on the first part being true.

"I can't tell you." She seemed somewhat happy- which confirmed my belief that they were in-fact not getting together behind my back- she wouldn't smile in the face of that. But then what could she possibly be so ecstatic about, if not that?

"Lex." I urged, as her grin grew wider, making one thing and one thing only come to my mind.

No. There was no way. I tried not to get too ahead of myself as I rationed with logic.Dylan wasn't an idiot. We had an agreement and he wouldn't break it- not this soon. But something- or someone's ever growing smile- made me think otherwise.

"Lexi is he coming here?" I held my breath, as the beating in my chest grew loud enough to be heard a mile away- okay a foot away.

"He's already here." She whispered, and when I say I had never squealed this restlessly before- I meant it.