Chapter 39

Wednesday- (Late night)

"Blake, please just go back."
I requested him to leave, but he stood there, like a knight in shining armor- little did he know this wasn't a fairytale, and there was no happy ending, not for me at least, not today.

"Blair, I can't leave you at this hour."
He protested, as I concealed his gesture as friendship- it made me feel better if I believed he was just being cordial.

"Yes, you can. Meghan is going to be here any minute, and you need to go back to Sarah."
I pleaded with him, knowing it was getting tardy waiting around outside a prison cell.

Obviously, I wanted him to stay- it was the middle of the night, and I was standing in a mini dress that entirely exposed me from the knees down.

To make matters worse, the station was empty- almost empty- there was a gray-haired quaint man that sat reclining himself on a chair, as he guarded the desk and ogled at the only female present at such an odd hour- me. This man wasn't a typical grandfather figure- unlike Bob- this one was eerie- let's just leave it at that. So naturally, having someone like Blake around was comforting to me, but I knew I couldn't ask him to stay any longer. It wasn't right.

"I told your friend Maya to take Sarah to my aunt's place. She'll tell me as soon as she gets there. I'm staying with Blair, at least till his lawyer doesn't show up."
His shoulders stiffened, but mine relaxed at his gesture, as I decided there was no point in begging him to leave, when deep down, I needed him to stay.
"Are you sure?"
My lips parted, as he nodded his head, and sat me down with his arm wrapped around my shoulder.
The heart beat pounding in my chest had mellowed down, just a notch. Blake's presence provided me with security, but I needed to see Dylan's wrists free in order to find consolation.

Once the police made their way through the hoard of people, there really was no stopping them. Maya sheltered her kids to the side, as she stepped forward to argue with the officers but it seemed as if Tyler had a pretty decent hold on them- they followed his commands like puppets on a string- indicating that he had either given them some form of bribe, or been more typical and used his dad's contacts to cut a deal that shoved Dylan out of the picture.
It was nicely planned out, but I found it pathetic. How could someone have so much time to waste on gaining revenge over something that didn't even matter? He wasn't going to get anything at the end- not the girl, nor the closure- then why go through so much trouble? Just so he can prove that he was the more powerful man. I assumed that was the case.. he was just a psycho narcissist doing everything and anything to get things to go his way.
Regardless, I had no time to spend psychoanalyzing someone that needed therapy. I knew I needed to rush to Dylan, and since they wouldn't let me get in the police car with him, I asked Blake for a drive there. After we reached the station, I thanked him and told him he could leave but he insisted he'd stay, so I made a few calls and after getting a confirmation that Meghan was on her way, I cooled down- just a little bit- as I waited for Dylan to get out of his cell. It had been over two hours, and the waiting only grew worse by the second, but there wasn't much to do but sit around and hope that it was all going to be okay. It had to be okay...

"Blair, do you want anything to eat?"
Blake offered but I politely declined as the guilt of Dylan being in there because of me slowly began to chew on my insides.

"Thank you but I'm not hungry." I clicked my knuckles as a storm clouded over me.

"You know none of this is your fault right?" Blake's voice blew the squall away, but its shadow lurked in the corner of my mind.
"Really?"
I scoffed at him louder than I should have. "My ex boyfriend shows up to get revenge on me, but miraculously I don't lose a hair on my scalp. Instead, the one thing that everyone has been working their asses off for an entire month- gets jeopardized, costing so many people- including little kids- their fund for a year. And the worst part is, Dylan loses his reputation in front of tons of his close friends, lands in jail and is now stuck there- all thanks to little old me- for having a history of dating short tempered men."
His eyes glared at me like I had just spoken a badly written obituary, but instead of giving me a terrible reaction, he just smirked- which not gonna lie, made me feel somewhat lighter.
"I didn't know you dated that guy." He raised his eyebrow in judgment as I scowled, to which he replied,"But still, it takes a lot to get someone this riled up. What happened between the two of you?"