Chapter Seven

Lisanna Moore's P. O. V

The silence is palpable in the air, so much so that I have to take a deep breath since I feel almost stifled by the thickening air. The tension only being felt to me but like a shackle around my neck as my nerves start to eat away at me. From the outside I appear calm and composed but on the inside I'm a nail biting, sleeve pulling mess.

If I hadn't have been in the room this entire time and keeping a sharp eye on the man in front of me, I would have assumed he had simply fallen asleep. The steady rise and drop of his chest as he breathes in an out along with the dead stare that sends shivers down any person's spine, I'm sure anyone would have surmised that the stern Prince has simply dozed off with his eyes wide open due to the dragging silence.

Should I say something?

Is he waiting for me to say something?

Deciding that I've had enough of the impregnable silence, I lick my lips to give myself a little boost of confidence in some shape or form. Luckily for me, just as my mouth opens to speak up, the Prince decides he's thought about whatever it is, just enough as he cuts me off.

"Why you?"

Well I certainly wasn't expecting him to say something as eloquent as that.

"What do you mean sir?" I question with furrowed brows, not entirely sure how to go about his probing interview. Of course I'm going to answer him as honestly as possible since even the tiniest slip up will have my ass hauled out on an empty road after I've been fired from the company. That's the last thing on Earth that I want.

"Why were you chosen for this job? With me as a client. I want to know if your firm is serious about this because my reputation is at stake and I'm not about to let someone who doesn't know what their doing; simply come into this sphere and damage my worthwhile image. So I'll ask you once again; Why were you in particular, chosen for this job?"

His words come out meticulous and uncaring which results in me trying to hold back a frown from appearing on my face. The man does have every right to know why I was chosen and if I'll be a good match but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt anyone to be just a little nicer in wording himself. The man's making it out like I'll mess up within the first hour let alone on the first day.

"Quite frankly Mr. Sinclair, I was chosen because I'm good at what I do. I'm one of the best in the firm and my boss believe I'm the right one for the job. If at any point you have any issues against what I do or how I operate then I do hope you take up the matter with my boss but I'm sure I won't give you any reason to do so." My answer comes out firm and I have to hold back the bite in my voice that desperately makes to want itself know about how touchy I am with him asking me something like that. Professionalism wins over me being simply petty.

Mr. Sinclair eyes me for a few further moments, probably deciding if he's satisfied with my answer or not. I simply stare back but don't want to seem as if I'm challenging him in any way so I try to keep the rest of my expression as soft as possible.

"Very well. You'll do for now. If I find any discrepancies while I remain your client, I'll make you'll be the first to be fired along with Ms. Washington. This is an utmost important matter and I need to make a good impression for the public." If you carry on like this, you'll be ruining your own reputation yourself.

Prince Charming? More like arrogant douchebag.

"For the both of our sakes I'll be giving this matter my one hundred and ten percent." I say stoically, not wanting him to know I have more laying on the line than he could possible know. Mr. Sinclair raises his voice loud enough to signify that Rose can come back inside but is quick to nail one final hammer in my coffin. The words putting me in between a rock and a hard place since I'm unsure what to do now.