Chapter Thirty Four

"Well, you see- It's a funny story- Very funny. Ha, ha."

My ceaseless floundering is met with a raised brow as Thaddeus pins me with a dubious expression. Shifting on my feet, I glance behind him, trying to think of excuses so I can make a dash for it.

"Did you just say 'ha, ha,?"

I'm sure Thaddeus Sinclair sees right through me as his arm wraps around my waist, caging me into his warm embrace as he lets out a loud exaggerated sigh. Squirming slightly, I chew on the inside of my cheek, already knowing that I'm trapped here.

The once funny idea is now a daunting prospect but I'm sure Samantha is cackling her head off downstairs, especially considering she was the one who came up with the idea and I just went along with it, albeit a little too eagerly.

"Who is that woman, anyway?" Thaddeus grunts while I bring my arms up, placing them against the hard plains of his chest while trying to hold back the urge to run my hands rampantly down his muscles.

He's sculpted by God himself.

Focus, Lisanna.

Clearing my throat, I think back to a while back when Samantha called me, rambling on about a genius idea and something that was delicately put, or so Samantha tries to assuage me.

"Before you start pointing any figures, Samantha came up with the whole idea."

I tend to hate the concept of throwing other people on the bus, even if it's true but I know I'm going to be the one getting grief for this regardless of the whole situation.

"You couldn't come to a formal event with a plus one. Anyone who is even remotely important is supposed to show up with one other person as their date. We knew if we told you about this, you'd throw a fit-"

"Throw a fit? What am I? A toddler?" Thaddeus interjects hotly, brows furrowed while I give him an incredulous look.

"Isn't that what you're doing right now?"

The man immediately quietens at my word, nodding his head as if to say touche.

"That is why Samantha waited until the very last moment to tell you about your date. Which was an hour ago. You can't possibly back out now. Besides, she's a model. What's not to like?"

I think back to the woman who was all too eager to be Thaddeus Sinclair's plus-one. The drop dead gorgeous woman was practically foaming at the mouth to show up to the exclusive event.

The man doesn't say anything in return, merely glances down at me as he towers over me even in my high heels. Thaddeus stares at me through his forest green eyes, silent but a thousand words passing through them.

Unfortunately for me, I just stare blankly up at him, not sure what the hell he's thinking.

"I don't want her as my plus one."

Is he pouting?

At this point, I wouldn't even be surprised if he starts stomping his foot before dropping to the ground and thrashing about in a good old fashioned tantrum.

It's oddly adorable.

With a half hearted shrug, I send Thaddeus my best innocent smile, biting my lip when he squeezes my waist with both his hands.

"What if she starts flirting with me and then-"

I let out a loud laugh that almost turns into a cackle, the mere thought causing me to shake with mirth.

"Why would that be a problem?" The pointed look that Thaddeus sends my way has my cheeks heating up. My nonchalant expression dropping because as much as I like to deny it, the both of us aren't completely naive.