Chapter Twenty Three

Lisanna Moore's P. O. V

My eyes are trained on the slowly fading light of my laptop screen. The file I was previously reading just words on a page which I am unable to register.

"Do you mind repeating what you said?"

"Yes, I do." I can tell my words aren't at all appreciated even if I am half joking. The other half? Currently dying over the fact that I've spilt my guts out and my secret is out there in the open.

"I can't believe it." Rose mutters to herself, sat on the chair opposite my desk as she leaves her half eaten salad on my desk. My own lunch lays untouched, too nerve consumed to eat anything, which is a sign that something is wrong since I never say no to food.

"Neither can I." Luckily, I've managed a few days of solitude. Solitude isn't even the correct word, considering I managed to live the past few days in the office and then straight back home. My excuse bordered on the fact that I need to revise certain plans and come up with others, which will help the Prince in the long run. I've also kept in mind the threats the King sent me, which still makes a shiver run down my spine every time I think about it. Hopefully, I'll be able to hit two birds with one stone. I'll have a solid set of plans which will make Mr. Sinclair look amazing in the eyes of the public and it won't rub the King the wrong way either.

Of course, all of that is just an excuse, so I don't have to go to the castle. Each time something has tried to pop up, I've brushed it aside and sent Rose in my place. Luckily, nothing tipped anyone off because there weren't any important meetings of the sort and it would help the woman in gaining experience which she needs to build up on. At least that's what Rose was telling me every time I sent her to the estate. Unfortunately, Rose is too sharp for her own good and soon enough realised that I'm avoiding a certain someone.

I nearly cringed into myself there and then and now here we are. Days later and here I find myself sat at my office desks, relaying all my woes to a close friend of mine who is incredibly gob smacked at the turn of events. I would be too if someone told me they locked lips with the freaking Prince. I mean, what's next on the ladder. The King?

A shiver runs down my spine at the mere thought of someone having to do that. I feel bad for the Queen, although she herself seems a bit of a loose screw.

"You snogged the Prince." Rose doesn't look like she's gotten past the first bit of information, processing everything bit by bit much like I have been for the duration of my time away from the estate.

"I have to say, the Prince did look a little on edge when he kept seeing me walking in through his study door instead of his one and only lover."

"I'm not Mr. Sinclair's lover." I huff out, crossing my arms underneath my chest and taking a defensive stance to which Rose lets out a loud laugh.

"Yeah, you're just kissing buddies." I go to roll my eyes. Not believing how childish the woman can be, but slight movement from the door has me sitting up straight and eyes narrowing.

"Eavesdropping, Stella?" I hope my voice doesn't portray the shakiness that I'm feeling inside of me. My nerves screaming at the fact that Stella heard everything just now. I can't even lie to myself and pretend she didn't hear anything because I know for a fact that's not the case.

"Canoodling with your clients, Lisanna?" Chewing down on my cheek, I try my best to school my facial expression and instead quip back at her. "I thought you were the one known for that?"

I hate stooping down to such a level. The entire ordeal leaving a bad taste in my mouth and making me regret my words as soon as they're out. I really do need to get a grasp on my tongue.