Chapter Thirty

Lisanna Moore's P.O.V

"It's complicated."

"Is it really?" Thaddeus quips back as he resumes his previous position, the epitome of ease and nonchalance as he lays against the edge of his desk, arms crossed.

I huff at his outright bluff, hating how he's right. It's not complicated at all.

Choosing to ignore Thaddeus' remark, I make myself comfortable on the leather upholstery, trying not to make too much noise as I clasp my hands together.

"It's not something I regret," I begin slowly, feeling the words as they leave my mouth and adamantly standing behind what I say. "If I had to do it again, I would one hundred and ten percent."

Thaddeus nods in understanding, edging me to continue.

"Nearly six months ago now, we had this huge client. An A list celebrity that the top representatives wanted to get their hands on. They were incredibly important so Samantha Cunningham, my boss, chose to put two representatives on the team. That way if anything goes wrong, two heads put together will help and come up with good enough strategy to get the celebrity out of whatever mess. Samantha decided to put me and a friend on the team, Katy."

"I'm guessing Katy has something to do with the shit hitting the fan," My eyes fall away from his as I take in a steadying breath. The image of my friend comes right before my eyes with her pale skin and shocking red hair, offset by her dark eyes.

"We were doing good for around five months and whatever rumours were stemming up, we'd shut them down or add fuel to the fire if it would go in their favour. Then we hit the mother load of all rumours. Except it wasn't a rumour. Someone from the public had found our picture perfect celebrity doing a line of cocaine at one one of their friends party. Considering this celebrity was though to be this perfect angel, it absolutely fucked everything up."

To my surprise, Thaddeus grins roguishly and shakes his head in amusement as if I've just said something hilarious.

"Cocaine?"

"Yup. Not only that, but more reports came out that it wasn't only a one time thing but the nations beloved celebrity was the ultimate crackhead. It was a downward spiral if I've ever seen one."

"So that's it? You messed up one of your biggest clients and now facing the consequences?" He asks after a long beat of silence.

"Nope. Katy did. We had split our tasks because it was literally a PR crisis. We both had things to work on and her part was to reach out to the public and put forward a press release. It was a rookie mistake but she just went mute. Everything was sorted, our team got the relevant information and it was ready to go, just sat there waiting to be sent out and then it never did-"

Thaddeus clearing his throat causes me to cut off as I look at him in question. The man appears increasingly confused as he leans off of the desk and approaches me, stopping only a few feet away.

"But that's Katy's fault. Why are you in this position now?"

I roll my eyes at his words, almost as if it's unfathomable to him that some people put others first.

"Because she would have been fired. Katy didn't do it on purpose. It was taking a toll on all of us but especially her. She was having complications with her pregnancy. Very serious ones and it just caught her off guard. Before Katy could end up going to Samantha and telling her about it, I stepped in. Katy would've been fired then and there. Her partner and her couldn't afford it. Not with everything going on. I knew I wouldn't have been terminated. Put in the firing range and nearly getting sacked, sure. But I have a lot of clients. Katy didn't have that many at the time but she had a few strong clients which helped put her on the project with me."