Chapter Thirty Two

Popping my arms behind my head, I let out a long and satisfied exhale. Stretching my limbs as far as they can go, I wiggle my toes at the sheer bliss which overtakes me.

"I can't believe I slept that long," I mutter to myself, eyeing the clock on the wall that showed it was nearing midday.

With a deep sigh, I shuffle my feet to the kitchen where a steaming pot of coffee awaits me. Picking up the pot, I pour some coffee into a large mug and settle down on to the small island that barely seats two people.

A frown mars my features as I take in the chipped wood of the cabinets with the door barely hanging onto the hinge. The tiled floors are starting to get thick with grime no matter how many times I scrubbed at them. Not only that but the lights ahead were dimming when I put them on last night.

"I'm paying all that money for this heap of junk?" I scowl to myself.

The sharp ringing of my phone takes me out of my pity party and roast fest at my crappy apartment. Picking up the shrill object, I go to answer the call but it cuts off. My scowl grows deeper at my luck but an incoming text diverts my attention.

I glance down at the text on my phone from Samantha; the woman wondering if she should add my name to the list of people attending the formal affair tomorrow. I ponder the thought for a few moments, unsure of what to do or rather what not to do.

I don't feel like going to the ball and luckily for me, my job pertained to prepping the Prince as to how he should act etc. The requirements of the job don't extend as far as going to fancy affairs with people dressed up to the nines. I can easily stay back and keep an eye out on any and every report that Samantha sends my way because I know for a fact that she'll be there.

On the other hand, I know Thaddeus wants me to be there. His words from a few days ago ring through my mind. He made it very clear that I should be there. For what reason? I'm not sure.

I wish I could sit and pretend as if I'm not interested but the truth is, I most certainly am. I want all the hard work and effort that the team and I have put into place. It's always gratifying to see everything going off without a hitch. I won't lie on another fact either.

I'd love to live out my little princess fantasies that I had when I was a small girl. Although I won't be the belle of the ball and will be far away from the starry-eyed prince, it'll still be majestic, I'm sure.

With a frustrated huff, I pick up the coffee as it warms my hand, taking a sip only to splutter in shock at the way my tongue sizzles from the scalding hot liquid.

"Shit. Thas the thid time this week," My words come out garbled and the self-pity starts rolling in once more.

Get your shit together Lisanna.

And so I did.

*****

"Open up. My arms are about to fall off!"

The loud banging on my front door ensues and I nearly trip over my legs in the haste to stop the commotion. Reaching out with one hand, I steady myself on the door before yanking it open.

A heavily pregnant Kate stands in front of me, blazing red hair all stuck up and falling into her face and her arms chock full of black bags.

"Shit, Kate! You shouldn't be lifting all this stuff," I rush out as I take a majority of the things I can from her, ushering the woman into my apartment so she can unload herself.

Kate plops down onto my grey couch, the grey bags and boxes lying on the other end as she takes her strappy shoes off.

"Relax, that's only for heavy lifting. A few garment bags won't make the baby come out with a dent in its head- Ugh these stupid shoes won't come off my swollen feet," She growls in frustration, yanking rather harshly as she throws them in a corner.