*Chapter Nine*

"Damnit," Luke muttered to himself. "How is my car broken again?" Luke sighed and slammed his door shut. He kicked the tire and leaned against the hood. "Okay Luke, you're going to have to get another uber," he exhaled and closed his eyes while talking to himself. He really needed to get a new car, but as a grad student on a bartender's wage, it would be difficult to buy a new or even a nice used car. It was costing him enough just getting ubers the past week.

Luke loved being in optometry school.
He loved that he could help someone see well for the first time. The look of pure joy on someone’s face who had just put on their first pair of glasses was something special. The way their eyes lit up and the amazement in their eyes always brought a smile to Luke’s Face.
Luke, however, did not like all of the studying. Of course studying is how you learn, but he learned better from experience than from a book. Luke’s clinicals were the highlight of his day. Classes were boring and practicing eye exams on fellow students was tedious.

Luke was on his way to his Clinical when his car wouldn’t start again.Today was pediatric optometry. Kids were fun to work with. They’re so sweet and chatty. They don't usually have complaints and they are really easy to make laugh.
Luke ran into the office. His curly hair was disheveled from running his hand through it while waiting for the uber. The sleeves of his black dress shirt were pulled up to his forearms. His pants weren’t his classic skinny jeans, but nice dress pants with his signature black boots.

“I’m sorry I’m a little late Dr. Jacobs. My car broke down again and my uber took forever,” Luke said as he hung his backpack and jacket on the back of the grey desk chair. “Luke, how many times do I have to tell you to call me Alex? We’re colleagues. Please just call me Alex,” he said with a teasing smile. “I’m going to have a hard time with that, but I’ll do my best doctor uh, I mean Alex.”

Luke got to work shortly after the awkward exchange with Alex, the doctor who was in charge of him for this part of his clinicals. Luke knocked on the heavy wooden door of the exam room lightly while he was opening it. The only thing peeking behind the door was the mop of blond hair on top of his head. “Molly! How’s my favorite patient today?” Luke spoke with a wide smile on his face.

The little girl, Molly, who was only five years old giggled and shied away from Luke hiding behind her hair as her head looked to her toes. “Molly, tell Dr. Hemmings why you’re here today,” the mom encouraged the little girl. “Please call me Luke.” Molly’s head shot up a goofy grin plastered on her face. Both of her front teeth were gone. “Can I call you Lukey? Dr. Lukey?” Molly asked sweetly.  “Sure sweetie, you can call me Dr. Lukey,” Luke spoke softly, “Now let’s check your eyes. We had to take that piece of leaf out of your eye last week. How are you feeling today?”

“Better! Thank you for making me feel better Dr. Lukey.” Luke smiled brightly at the small girl, “You’re welcome. Now I don’t want to see you back here with anything else stuck in your eye okay? You’ve been so good today. Do you want a sticker?” Molly nodded eagerly looking to her mom for approval. “Can I have a truck sticker please?” Molly asked after Luke got the sheets of stickers out of the drawer to show Molly. “Sure thing. You both have a good day!”

Luke finished his work for the day. He was able to help several children today who had never seen the detail of leaves on trees. One kid, Darious has never seen his mom’s face properly. The three year old and mom were both crying. Before Luke knew it, he had tears running down his face too. He couldn’t imagine doing a more rewarding job.

Luke had to rush to his bartending job at the bar across from Jitters. No wonder he didn’t like studying. He was always rushing around and didn’t have time to sit and focus. Luke didn’t have to change his attire much to bartend. He unbuttoned a few buttons on his shirt showing off just a bit of his chest hair. His silver necklace was now on display hanging down his chest along his sternum. He jostled his hair a little more making it messier and less formal. He was already wearing his favorite boots. All he had to do was change his pants. Today he opted for black skinny jeans with slits just in the knees.

Luke greeted Mark with a nod of his head as he got set up behind the bar. He had been working with Mark since he had turned twenty one a few years ago. Luke needed a job to help get him through school and the bar was close enough to where he lived without being a hassle. Luke also loved the nightlife. He liked talking to strangers about their problems. He knew they just needed an outlet and what better way to get something off your chest than to talk to your bartender?

It was nearing nine o’clock and Mark nudged Luke’s arm with his elbow. “Isn’t that the girl you were here with the other night?” Luke’s head snapped up looking away from the pint glasses he was cleaning in the sink behind the bar. His brow furrowed and heated tilted to the side.

There was Rhiannon sitting at a round table in the corner of the bar with a brunette man. The man's back was turned to Luke. The only other feature he could tell was he was tall. His long legs were scrunched up under the small table. His feet almost touching Rhiannon's on the other side.
Rhiannon was stirring her drink with the little black cocktail straw. Her head resting on her right hand, elbow on the table. Her pink lips were turned up at the corners in a soft smile.

"Who do you think that is?" Luke inquired. "I don't know man, but they look pretty comfortable together." Luke sighed heavily. His chest was tight and something was bubbling in his stomach. He continued to wash the glasses in the sink. The water sloshed around and Luke was heard muttering to himself. Customers sitting at the bar were giving Luke weird looks, but he was too preoccupied to notice.

"Uhh Luke, you might want to chill out on the pint glasses. You're spilling water everywhere," Mark said through a laugh. Luke glanced at the vinyl floor under his boots. Sure enough, there was a puddle of water and his shoes were wet. "Sorry Mark. I don't know what's gotten into me. I'll clean this up," Luke gave him a sheepish look. "How about I clean this up and you go talk to her." "You're sure?" Mark responded with a curt nod in Rhiannon's direction.

Luke noticed the mystery man excuse himself from the table and saw it as the perfect opportunity to say hi. Luke waited for the man's back to be turned away from Rhiannon and sat in his seat across from her. "Well hello stranger. It's interesting seeing you here when you didn't even know it existed last week," Luke said as he smirked at Rhiannon. "If you must know, I really liked it here last week," Rhiannon said sweetly.

"Was that because of the atmosphere or maybe someone you met here?"
"I'm not sure. Maybe I'll have to come back with that person and try it again," Rhiannon smiled coyly, "But I'm glad you came over here. That guy was my ex and I really don't want to talk with him any longer. Please save me."

"You looked pretty cozy to me," Luke mumbled under his breath. Rhiannon heard him, but pretended like she didn't. She was flattered Luke had noticed her while he was working. That was part of her plan after all. Dylan showing up was just an unfortunate coincidence. "Meet me by the front door and I'll take you home okay?" "Just walk me across the street and I'll make us some coffee and cookies. How does that sound?" Rhiannon asked. "That sounds perfect, but you have to tell me what the deal with that guy is when we get there. Let me grab my stuff."

Luke told Mark he was leaving for the night. It was pretty slow anyway. It was Wednesday night and that's not a big drinking night for the crowd they get. Rhiannon waited for Luke by the door like she said she would.

Dylan looked around the bar confused as to where Rhiannon went. He told her he'd be right back after using the restroom. He saw a little book on the table with a tab in it. His lips pursed and his shoulders tensed up. She left him with her bill. He couldn't believe his sweet Rhiannon would do such a thing.

Luke and Rhiannon saw the scene unfold as they were in the shadows near the door. Giggles erupted from the pair. Rhiannon's because that's what Dylan deserved after what he did to her and Luke's because he was his competition and he had obviously hurt Rhiannon in the past. They almost ran over to Jitters occasionally bumping into one another while laughing. They didn't want Caleb to see them enter the shop. He had no idea the quaint shop across the street belonged to Rhiannon.

*Did you make any resolutions for the new year? What are they?*

*Uh oh, is Rhiannon's past coming to find her?"