*Chapter Six*

"What the hell was that?" Rhiannon whisper yelled in the kitchen of Jitters. "He can't just come in here like that, flirt with me and leave like he knows he's going to see me tonight!" 

Marnie was busy cleaning up dirty cookie sheets and muffin pans in the sink. She glanced over to see Rhiannon pacing while stomping her boot covered feet. Her lips turn up in a smile at her best friend, "Oh come on Rhi, I know you're going to that bar later. And you know you're going too. So get over this little fit you're having and get your perky ass home to get ready!"

Rhiannon couldn't deny that she was going to meet up with Luke later, but she wanted to keep the facade up a little longer. " Why don't you come over later, we'll have some drinks and then we'll see if we feel like going out," Rhiannon spoke softly hoping Marnie wouldn't hear her.

"Sure. Now go home and get ready!"

Rhiannon hopped in her blue suv and rolled her windows down just a bit. She closed her eyes and took in the scents of fall. The fallen leaves and the chill in the air were her favorite. She loved snuggling up in sweaters and boots by a big bonfire with s'mores and hot chocolate. Of course, since she lived in the city now, she didn't get to sit by a fire as often. She didn't even have a backyard or know anyone with one.

She made a point to add that to her to-do list. Shaking herself out of her thoughts, she sped off to her apartment. She wanted to look good tonight, but not too good. The everlasting problem of being a woman. She wanted to impress Luke, but didn't want to seem like she was trying too hard.

Rhiannon had hopped in the shower as soon as she got home. She wanted to wash all the grime off from her day at Jitters. A coffee shop doesn't seem like a place where you'd get especially dirty, but Rhiannon did all the baking. She was usually covered in flour and various other powders. 

She could feel the stress from her day dissolve as soon as the hot water hit her pale shoulders. Showers always relaxed Rhiannon. If she had more time, she'd be more inclined to take a bath with a lavender bath bomb, but this would have to do. She couldn't resist dancing a bit to the music she was listening to loudly on her speaker. She was sure her neighbors hated her because of all the loud music she listened to at all hours of the day and night. She tried to be considerate, but music wasn't meant to be enjoyed quietly. 

Rhiannon was really getting into the song and jumped up a bit to the beat. She slipped when her feet hit the porcelain of the white tub and reached out to grip anything she could. She was able to stabilize herself. With a loud sigh, she put her hand on her chest breathing deeply. "That will teach me to jump in the shower. Oh my god. I could have died. I live here alone. I don't need firemen seeing me naked," she mumbled to herself. 

Just as she was getting out of the shower, Marnie barged into the apartment carrying what looked like garment bags full of clothes. "You know that key is just for emergencies, Marn. Like when I fall to my death in the shower," Rhiannon said dramatically. "You're about 5 minutes later than my almost death! I was dancing in the shower and I must not have cleaned all of the bath bomb up from last time. I almost fell!" Marnie shook her head disapprovingly, "You're the only person I know who constantly slips in the tub. You need to be more careful! You don't want those firefighters to see that hot body."

"Anyway, we need to get you ready. You have a man to see."

"I thought we were going to have drinks and decide later?" Rhiannon whined. 

"You know you want to go so don't argue with me! I'm going with you. Go dry your hair and I'll help you pick and outfit," Marnie gestured to the garment bag she was holding. She practically brought her whole closet. 

Marnie wanted Rhiannon to have a good time. She's been so uptight since Dylan isn't around anymore. Good riddance Marnie thought. She doesn't want him anywhere near her best friend. Luke seemed like a nice enough guy even if it was just for one night. It would help Rhiannon relax and have some fun for once. She's too busy working all the time between the coffee shop and uber, she was incredibly busy. Marnie was just looking out for her. 

Marnie squealed when Rhiannon came out of her room. Rhiannon looked hot. She couldn't deny it. The black skirt she chose hugged her butt in just the right way. Her plum sweater was thin enough if she got hot at the bar and her eyeliner was perfect. She finished her look off with boots and a jean jacket. With one last look in the mirror and an addition of some chapstick, she was ready. "Okay so now where are my pre bar drinks? You promised we could have drinks."

"Oh calm down Rhi. Your rum and coke is on the counter. You know you're 23 now. Maybe you should pick a more sophisticated drink."

Rhiannon rolled her eyes, "Like what? Bourbon? I'd rather lick cigarette ashes out of an ashtray. That stuff is nasty!" The fake gag that came from Rhiannon amused her friend. "I was thinking more like a martini. Something that comes in a fancy glass."

Another eye roll from Rhiannon, "You're only saying that because martinis are your favorite. Nobody is saying rum and coke isn't classy. It's easy to order and every bartender knows how to make it. It simply cannot be messed up."

"You're right, but martinis aren't difficult to make either."

Rhiannon sighed, "Agree to disagree, okay? I've had two drinks and I don't know how many you've had while I was getting ready. I'm ready to go."

Since the women had already started drinking, Rhiannon was forced to call an Uber. The irony wasn't lost on her and the friends giggled as they opened the app. 

The ride was anything but quiet. Marnie was already tipsy and trying to flirt with the driver who politely declined all of her advances while looking slightly terrified. Rhiannon caught the man's gaze in the rearview mirror and mouthed "I'm sorry" to him. He just shrugged it off. Rhiannon knew just how annoying intoxicated passengers could be. 

When they arrived Rhiannon made sure to apologize to the driver again and give him an extra tip. 

"All right Rhi, it's game time. Go in there and show Luke what you've got," Marnie said through a hiccup and a giggle. 

Rhiannon knew this was going to be a long night if Marnie was already close to her limit. She didn't want to have to babysit her friend. Rhiannon looked over at Marnie who was already halfway through the entrance. "Well I guess it's now or never," she said to no one but herself. She stood up a little straighter and marched herself up to the bar to catch up with her friend. Regardless if Luke was there or not, she knew she would have fun that night.

*What's something you want for Christmas this year? Or for what holiday you celebrate in December!*

*What's your go to drink if you're of age?*

*Any feedback is appreciated! Love you all!*