*Chapter Twelve*

"Marnie, wake up," Rhiannon said while urgently shaking the sleeping girl. "We're late to open the shop and if you don't wake up right now, I'm going to pour this glass of water on you," She threatened. Rhiannon slowly let the water trickle from the glass onto Marnie's face.

Marnie sat up, startled and now damp. "Rhi, why the hell did you do that? I was sleeping. You know how much I need my sleep. At this point, Marnie was feeling the effects of the wine from the previous evening. "I warned you that I was going to dump water on you if you didn't wake up. It's not my fault you don't follow directions," Rhiannon said while handing Marnie the glass of water and some ibuprofen. "You know directions aren't my thing, Rhi. Or should I say wildflower," Marnie said in a sing-song voice.

Rhiannon couldn't help the blush that overcame her cheeks. It crawled up her neck, across both cheeks and her nose. She busied herself with folding the blanket she had put over Marnie last night. She didn't want to talk about Luke this morning. She had time to think it over while she was getting ready for work and couldn't believe how forward she was last night. Marnie was right. It was so unlike her to make the first move. She met Dylan by accident all those years ago. And when he finally asked her out, he was the one to always make the first move. Rhiannon had never felt secure enough in herself to be that bold with a man. She was so young when she was with Dylan. She was also naive. She thought all the attention was great at the time until it wasn't enough anymore.

Rhiannon shook herself from her thoughts looking to her best friend who was now scavenging for something to eat in the fridge. "I left some overnight oats for you in that mason jar. There's some berries in there too if you want them." Marnie placed her hand on her heart, "You're an actual angel. I'm so happy to call you my best friend."

Rhiannon's face twisted into disgust, "Please stop with the sappiness. That's my department. You're supposed to be the cynical one who doesn't care about anyone." Marnie's boisterous laugh was heard through the whole apartment, "I am the cynical one, babe. Just not when it comes to you." Rhiannon smiled at her friend. She truly didn't know what she would do without her.

Jitters was packed. It was the lunch rush. There were customers lined out the door and all the tables inside the coffee shop were filled. Marnie was manning the register while Rhiannon and a couple other staff members were making the drinks. Since they were in the city, people would visit the shop for lunch. In addition to coffee and baked goods, they also had small sandwiches and bagels. It was a favorite amongst the business people who worked in the surrounding area.

Rhiannon had just released the other staff to take their lunch breaks as soon as the rush was over. She knew there would be an after work rush in a couple hours. People in the city loved their coffee. If they didn't have at least four cups a day, it seemed like they were dying from withdrawals.

Rhiannon was cashing out the register when she noticed a tall figure hovering over the counter. She glanced up seeing a man she recognized, but couldn't quite place. "Hello, how can I help you today?" "I'd like a cafe latte and to hopefully get the number of your brunette friend from the bar last week," the man said. All the pieces came together for Rhiannon. She had forgotten the bartender who Marnie had shamelessly called dibs on. "I can make you latte, but you'll have to get the number yourself," She smiled sweetly at Mark while yelling to the back of the shop, 'Hey Marnie, someone's here to see you."

Marnie came out of the kitchen with flour all over her apron and some speckled in her brown hair. She was wiping her hands off on a towel when she looked up and spotted Mark at the counter. The color drained from her face as she remembered their encounter at the bar. She was much more forward than Rhiannon, but she didn't usually call dibs on total strangers. Sometimes she wishes she wouldn't let alcohol do the talking.