[ 0.4 ]

When I was in eighth grade, we didn't talk much and I didn't really see you, since you were in your first year of high school. You'd text me every once in a while, but whatever friendship I thought we'd had seemingly dissipated once you went to high school.

        Your brother would tell me that your parents still teased you about being "married" to me for that play, and that you would roll your eyes at them and say, "she's a really nice girl, but we're just friends". He said he enjoyed teasing you about me too, though he's younger than you.

        I didn't think we'd really ever be friends again, until I went to see the high school's fall play, since my brother was in it. What I didn't know was that you were in it.

        When you saw me in the lobby after the show, waiting for my brother, your face lit up and you came running over to me. You said hello and asked how I'd been, how eighth grade was. You said you couldn't wait until next year, when we'd both be in the same school again. I asked you how high school had been so far, and you started talking about how much I would like homecoming and how you thought your English teacher was possibly crazy. You told me all these ridiculous and funny stories about getting lost the first week, jokes your math teacher had made, and all these things that had happened to you. As I watched you talking and getting all animated with your hands, your eyes bright with excitement, and a big smile on your face, laughing every now and then, that was the first time I felt butterflies while being with you, the first time my heart started beating fast.

        My brother showed up at some point and the two of you started to tell me a story about your health teacher and how crazy she was. Not long after that, our parents found us and said we had to go. Before I walked away, you hugged me. It was crazy how such a small gesture surprised me so much. It lasted for only a few seconds, but for some reason that my mind couldn't figure out, I felt really nervous around you and especially during the hug.

        My brother and parents teased me all the way home, but I was too busy trying to figure out what had just happened and what I was feeling to care.