{ 0.7 }

A week after your brother came to me, everything changed. You hadn’t been in school for three days, which worried me, but I saw your brother every one of those days and he seemed normal. So I thought everything was okay.

            Until one day I got a call from you. But it wasn’t you, it was your brother calling me from your phone. He was urgent and half hysterical.

            “Ellana, there’s something I need to tell you. It’s Elijah. He-He’s-He’s sick, Ellana. He’s so sick,” He’d said, sounding panicked.

            I was confused beyond belief, so I said, “Emmett, take a deep breath and calm down. What do you mean, he’s sick?”

            And then your brother said the four dreaded words that I never thought I’d hear. “The cancer came back, Ellana.”

        My whole world stopped, and my head was spinning. I couldn’t even think straight. Your brother went on to tell me that you were currently in the hospital, and that you had asked him to call me. He said you wanted me to come and visit you, because you wanted to see me and talk to me. He said you kept asking for me. The next day after school, your brother, who had his license by then, drove himself and I to the hospital where you were. You weren't at the local hospital, but in the cancer wing of a big, fancy hospital that was an hour and a half away.      

        When your brother and I got to the hospital, he told me to wait outside the door to your room. He left the door open, walked inside, and I heard him say to you, "Hey Eli. I brought someone with me to see you." Your forehead crinkled in confusion, and you asked him who. He didn't answer you, just looked at me and nodded. When I walked in, your eyes lit up, like a small child's would on Christmas.

        "'Lana!" You had exclaimed, "I'm so glad that you're here, 'Lana." I walked over to your bedside, and you wrapped your arms around me, with more strength than I had expected. You buried your face in my hair, and I was happy to note that you smelled like your same old cologne that you always wore. You held me for a while, and then whispered, "'Lana, it was so stupid of me to let you go. I'm so sorry. I never meant for you to get hurt. I just...wanted to protect you." I wanted ask from what, but I didn't.

        And then you said and did something that I really wasn't expecting. "I am so in love with you, 'Lana. I never stopped loving you, even after I broke things off. Please be smarter than me and don't let me go. Don't let go of anything that you love more than anything. I guess I want to take back what I said that day..." You trailed off, and appeared to be thinking, like you didn't know what to do next. And then you leaned in and kissed me.

        I smiled at you, "Eli, I'm not going anywhere."

        Oh, how I wish I could have said the same thing of you.

-----------------------------------

i debated with myself about putting that last line in here...

i'm sorry if you're holding a box of tissues right now...I NEVER WANTED TO DO THIS

-mags x