[ 0.8 ]

Although you always had a lot of friends, you had one friend in particular who you were closer to than any of the others. His name is Nick. Nick enjoyed teasing you, especially about me. If we were together, Nick would tease both of us. He is a great guy though, Eli. You had really good taste in friends.

         Whenever Nick was teasing you, or the two of us, I always got the feeling that he knew something about you that I didn’t know. I learned soon enough what it was.

         It was December of my freshman year. The school was having a Christmas/Holiday dance, and you and I were both there. I remember I was wearing this dress that I had gotten especially for the dance, it was very holiday-y, a deep red color with a one-shoulder type of thing, and it was also long, so it covered up my legs, so I wasn’t as cold as I could have been. I had my hair and make up done so that I looked stunning. I really wanted to impress you, know that I knew that I liked you. I thought if I looked pretty enough that night, you might see me as something other than your friend.

         It’s almost comical, looking back now, how silly I was. Because what happened was this: At one point, a slow song came on. You asked me to dance with you, which I thought nothing of. We were dancing together, and out of nowhere, you leaned in and whispered, “’Lana, you are so beautiful.” I smiled so big, and I could barely say thank you. I could barely breath for that matter. You were smiling back at me, and then literally out of nowhere, Nick popped up. He had mistletoe in his hand. And then he held it over our heads, and said “I knew you weren’t gonna do it on your own, so I’m doing what had to be done,” while shaking his head at you. And then we looked at each other, and you were still smiling, though you looked nervous.

         And then Nick said "Well come on you idiot, you're standing under mistletoe with a girl. You do know what you're supposed to do under mistletoe, don't you?" And you looked me for a second before leaning in, my heart racing as our lips met. When you pulled away, we were smiling at each other, and Nick wiggled is eyebrows and said, "So what's going on between you two?" You rolled your eyes, shrugged at him and said, "I'm just following tradition." He gave you this look, and you added, "I swear Nick, if you tell Andrew anything, there will be problems." Nick just nodded and walked away. Andrew is my older brother, who, fortunately for both of us, hadn't seen what had just happened. Emmett did, though. Even though he was all the way across the gym, I saw him and our eyes met for a second. And then he just shook his head before looking away. Unlike Nick, Emmett didn't seem to be happy or teasing. On the contrary, he looked kind of upset or maybe just emotionless.

        I was too busy looking at you and smiling to think about that too much. I even did the craziest thing- I kissed you.

        And then Christy came up and dragged me away, asking me what had just happened. All I said was "Nick put mistletoe over us. We had no choice." She just rolled her eyes.

        I couldn't help thinking that maybe you meant something more by it.