{ 0.5 }

On a Wednesday in May, when we had been together for exactly one year and five months, you said you needed to talk to me, and said you'd give me a ride home from school. You had your license by then. So I met you at my locker as usual, and as usual, you offered to carry my backpack, took my hand in yours, laced our fingers together, and walked with me, but instead of walking me to my brother's car, you walked me to yours. You said you wanted to take me somewhere before you took me home, so you could talk to me. It seemed like something important, but I never imagined the words that would come out of your mouth that day.

        You took me to the park, and walked us to a bench under a Dogwood tree that was in full bloom. We sat down, and you gave me a sad smile, and then began talking.

        "'Lana, listen to me. Just know this is going to hurt me as much as it is going to hurt you. It's so hard for me to do this, but I have to...'Lana, just know that I love you with all of my heart," Your voice started shaking, and it was hard for you to continue, "'Lana, I think we'd be better off as just friends. I don't want to do this, but I just can't....I'm so, so sorry, 'Lana. But it this is the way that it has to be. I'm sorry..." You started to cry after that, and it took me a second to take in everything, but then I started crying. You hugged me, tight, and for a long time. I kept telling you, "No, it doesn't have to be like this, Eli. It doesn't have to be like this. We can make this work," but you just shook your head sadly. I just held you tight, unwilling to let go. I'm not sure how long we sat there on that bench, just crying and holding each other.

        I didn't want to let go of you, but you inisisted that you had to get me home before my parents thought you kidnapped me. I laughed a little, but not as much as I normally would have.

        When we got to my house, you walked me to my door, and hugged me once again. I did not want to let go of you. We hugged for a long time, and then you started to pull away. I pulled you back, and you let me. I never wanted to let you go that night. But I eventually had to. You pulled away a little, and kissed me, leaving your lips on mine for a long time. And then you hugged me close once more, and before you let me go, you whispered, "I will love you forever, Ellana."

        I watched you get into your car and disappear into the night. A tear ran down my face. I didn't understand why you wanted to end things between us. We'd been so happy, what had gone wrong?

        I wish I had known the truth then.

        I wish I had never let you go that night.