[ 0.5 ]

When I finally got to ninth grade, it turned out that we had Spanish class and lunch together. In Spanish we worked together pretty often, and we sat near each other (that was totally by chance, since the teacher assigned seats). I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the reason for the nervous feeling that I got in my stomach whenever I was near you. I never wanted to believe the real reason, though. At lunch we didn't sit together; I had my friends and you had yours.

        When homecoming rolled around, I didn't have a date (I didn't mind, I had three more years for that) but you and your brother insisted on buying my ticket. Since the tickets were ten dollars, the two of you split it and each paid five. I kept trying to pay you back, but neither of you would take my money, so I eventually gave up.

        When I bought my dress, I came home and tried it on for my family. They all commented on how nice I looked, and when my parents turned their attention to other things, my brother said quietly, "Eli will like it." I was so confused and caught off guard by his comment that I pondered what he meant by it throughout the whole week left until homecoming night. My best friend, Christy, said it confused her too, and neither of us could come to a solid conclusion about it, or about you. I never told her about how I'd been feeling nervous around you, since I still didn't know what it meant. Or maybe I did, and I was just in denial.

        Whatever it was, I found the answer on homecoming night.