⭐︎ 0.3 ⭐︎

My senior year was so strange without you. You wouldn't have been there regardless, since you graduated, but it was still weird. Everyone looked at me funny, because of course they all knew about you. The only people I ever really spoke to were Christy and Emmett. Christy because she's always been my best friend, and Emmett because he misses you too, and he understands everything. Sometimes I would hang out with Nick and Emmett at your house, since Nick is becoming more and more of Emmett's friend. Nick knows how I feel too, since he misses you as well.

        I tried to avoid anyone other than them, because I hated the looks people gave me, and the words of pity.

        Prom rolled around again, and I didn't really feel like going. It reminded me of you too much. When I thought of prom, I kept picturing you and I dancing and laughing together among the strings of lights and flowers of the "Enchanted Garden". I wasn't going to go, despite the constant nagging from Christy. And then one day, Emmett walked up to me with a boquet of daisies and asked me to be his date to prom. He said just as friends; he said he knew I was still so brokenhearted over you, and that he and I were just best friends anyway. According to your brother, "you can't miss your senior prom, El!" I agreed to go with him, mostly to make him happy and leave me alone, and also because I think he and I both knew I wouldn't go with anyone else but him.

        And prom ended up being fun; the theme that year was "An Evening In Paris", and it was really nice. I was fine until a song that I danced to with you came on. And then tears started to fall, I couldn't help it. Your brother looked at me, and I ran out of the gym, and out into the parking lot. Emmett was right behind me, in his fancy tux and bowtie. He looked very nice. I mean, neither you nor your brother are ugly by any means. He hugged me and told me it was okay, and that he still missed you too. And then he pulled out his phone and put on a different slow slong that I had never heard before, turned up the volume, and put his phone back in his pocket. And then he asked me if I wanted to dance, so we could make the most of our senior prom. I said okay, and let him pull me in close to him.

        We danced in the parking lot, at night, while everyone else was inside. It was really nice. Your brother always seems to think of things like that. I said, "I'm sorry for ruining your senior prom." And Emmett said, "You didn't ruin it at all."