⭐︎ 0.5 ⭐

Everything changed your brother and I's junior year of college. I was still content with being single and having a few close friends; I still insisted that I didn't need a boyfriend. Emmett was still single, though he never said anything about relationships. I still missed you. I will always miss you, I believe. My grades were really good, and I was enjoying myself at college. I was actually almost happy again.

        One day, Emmett came to my dorm room, and asked if I could take a walk with him. He said he wanted to talk to me about something important. I, of course, agreed, and so I let him lead me out the door, and out of the dorm building. At first I didn't notice how nervous and uncomfortable he seemed. We walked quietly for a few minutes, until Emmett stopped walking, and turned to me. He said, "You're going to mad at me after this, so I just want to say that I am so, so sorry, and I hope you can understand." And then he pulled an envelope out of his pocket, and handed it to me.

        "This is from Eli," He said, "He gave it to me before he died, and asked me to make sure that you got it. The only reason that I kept it from you is that this letter will tell you my biggest secret...and I didn't want you to know it. And...I was also afraid that you wouldn't be able to deal with it on top of everything. It's a lot to take in."

        I just gave him a look that could kill, suddenly angry, and snapped, "You kept this from me because of your selfishness? What secret could you have that Eli would write about in a letter to me, that is so bad that you don't want me to know? Damn straight I'm mad at you." And then I walked away with the letter clutched tightly in my hand.

        Nothing could ever have prepared me for what the letter said.