Fortune and Men's Eyes - Part 2

***Suicide scene (nothing overly graphic, just what was in the show)

They picked up the heavy hatch, moving it aside and staring down into the hole.

"Well, Dilton really was a hardcore survivalist," Jughead sighed. "I'll go first," he said, climbing down, Betty and Aminity after. "Good God. It's like the inside of a Phillip K. Dick novel," he said as they looked at the twig figures hanging from the ceiling, food and water on shelves, and posters on the walls.

"I think this is all that game they were playing," Betty said of the stuff on the table.

"Yeah, Gryphons and Gargoyles. Looks like Ben and Dilton were in pretty deep."

"And maybe Ethel," Aminity added.

"Jug," Betty said after a moment, finding some of the drawings hanging on the wall. "Doesn't that look like the thing that came at us last night?"

"Yeah, the Gargoyle King. He's also featured prominently on this copper coin." They were quiet as they looked around.

"Guys," Aminity said and they came over.

"Oh God," Betty let out as she looked at the poster that had the chalices on it. "'Drink from the correct cup and ascend to the Kingdom,'" she read.

"Blue lips, cyanide," Jughead said as he found the Fresh-Aid packets and bottle of poison. "It was a challenge. It's all part of that stupid game they're playing."

"Pick the chalice that's not poisoned and win, I guess?"

"And by winning, ascend to the Kingdom?" Aminity added to her theory.

"So it was suicide."

"Maybe," Jughead sighed. "Or something even more insidious. " He started taking pictures while the girls walked around, Betty leaning down and looking under the bed before screaming.

***

"Do you know how worried your folks are?" Jughead asked as he sat across from the missing scout that Betty had found.

"Doesn't matter. I'm supposed to stay hidden in the bunker until Master Doiley comes back."

"Jeez," he let out as he glanced at Betty and Aminity. "Kid, haven't you heard? Dilton's not coming back."

"That's a lie," the scout scoffed.

"No, it's not."

"He's... dead," Aminity said after Betty. "I'm sorry."

"Were you playing Gryphons and Gargoyles with Dilton?" Jughead asked him.

"I was his apprentice. He was teaching me how to play so I could eventually join the game."

"Ben Button and Ben's girlfriend, Ethel Muggs?"

"Yes, but Princess Etheline isn't dating Ben in real life. Only in the game. And she warned me three enemies might invade the bunker," he scowled at them.

"Okay well, games over, alright? So I'm gonna get you back to your folks."

"And a shower and real food," Aminity said as she looked at his dirty clothes and the can of food he was eating.

"And then we need to pay another visit to Princess Etheline," Betty whispered.

***

"You blew us off, Ethel."

"And you knew where that missing Adventure Scout was and didn't say anything to anyone."

"He could've gotten hurt and his parents were worried sick," Aminity finished after Betty and her brother.

"Also you and Ben aren't really dating."

"Yes, we are. Okay? We're in love," she told her.

"No, Ethel, you were playing a game. Role playing."

"That's what you don't get. It was more real than you philistines will ever understand."

"Ethel, we're trying to help you, but you have to stop lying."

"I'm not lying."

"Okay," Jughead stopped Betty and Ethel's back and forth. "Why don't we take a little trip down to the sheriff's station and you can put that truth on record to Sheriff Minetta."

"Look, if any of us talk to any grownups, he's gonna get very, very angry."

"Who, Ethel?"

"Look at what happened to Dilton, okay? He tried to talk to you and then he..."

"Ethel?" Betty asked as she stopped talking and her eyes started fluttering.

"Are you okay?" Aminity asked.

"Ethel? Oh my God," Betty let out as Ethel's right arm sprung up into the air.

"Betty, she's having a seizure," Jughead realized.

"Jug, call an ambulance."

"Weatherbee!" he yelled as he took his phone out of his pocket.

"Ethel! Ethel!" the girls cried as she fell off of the couch and onto the floor. They tried to calm her down as Jughead got through to the hospital.

***

"Mrs. Muggs said Ethel's resting," Betty said as she walked back over to them at the hospital. "It just doesn't make sense. Jug, it can't be a coincidence, but seizures aren't contagious. So what? What is it?"

"Sounds like another mystery for us to solve," he said as he stood. "If you're up for it."

"I am. And maybe it's the same one. Maybe there's a connection between the seizures and whatever happened to Dilton."

"And I'm up for helping out on this one two if you'll let me," Aminity stood and walked over to them.

"I'd love to have you working with us," Betty smiled, putting her arm around her and looking to Jughead.

"Sure," he smiled. "But-"

"I have to take it easy and if something starts to bother me or my breathing, I have to tell you and take a step back. I know the drill." He just smiled at her.

"Do you want to check on Ben while we're here?" Betty asked. They nodded and they walked to his room, finding him sitting on the open window ledge. "Ben?"

"Ben."

"What are you doing?" Aminity asked, trying to stay calm.

"Come away from the window," Jughead tried.

"It's okay," Betty told him. "Everything's okay."

"I know. I know it is. I'm going to be with Dilton now. We both flipped the coin. He was scared to ascend, but I'm not."

"What about- What about your Princess Etheline, huh?" Betty tried.

"We'll be reunited in the Kingdom. One day all of us will. It's all part of his plan. You'll see."

"Ben," Jughead tried.

"Ben, just give me your hand and we'll figure this out, okay?" Aminity inched forwards.

"Soon you'll fly too," he said before leaning to the side, his figure falling out the window.

"Ben, no!" Betty screamed.

"Ben!" Jughead pulled both girls to him as Ben's body hit one of the cars below, the alarms going off.