Big Fun - Part 2

"So, last night was big fun," Evelyn said as they all sat on the stage the next day, "but now it's time to dig deep. So we're each gonna share something that we've never told anyone before. Big or small." No one spoke. "So does no one have a burden that the rest of us can help shoulder?"

"I'm being haunted by Midge's ghost," Kevin blurted out. "I've been thinking about her all the time since rehearsals started and I just- I just feel so guilty."

"I've been seeing her too," Fangs spoke up. "Not her ghost, but in nightmares."

Evelyn smiled and stood. "How beautiful. Through revealing their truth, these two young men have found an unexpected connection, perhaps more." Fangs and Kevin smiled at each other. "So, um, who would like to go next."

"I've got something," Sweet Pea said. "I know it was just to be a summer fling," Josie rolled her eyes, "and, uh, she didn't want a relationship, but I did, so it really blew to see Archie and Josie getting cozy last night."

"Arch," Betty smiled, "are you and Josie dating?"

"Well, I mean..." he looked at Josie.

"Uh..."

"Did you know about this?" Reggie asked Veronica.

"What? No, I had no idea."

"The fact that your ex-boo has a new girlfriend has nothing to do with you suddenly being all in with me?"

"Veronica? Anything to share?" Evelyn invited her.

She paused. "I just found out that my parents are separating. My family's unconventional to say the least, but I always thought, no matter what, they'd stay together." Betty got out of her seat and went to hug Veronica.

"And that is what we in the theater call a breakthrough," Evelyn smiled as Veronica rested her head on Betty's shoulder.

"Oh, this is a mess," Aminity quietly mumbled to herself.

***

Aminity walked into the theater, glancing around and making sure it was empty before turning on the lightboard and cueing one of the presets. She walked onto the stage, looking around once more before hitting a button on the small tablet that connected to the board and the music started.

Aminity - I float in a boat in a raging black ocean. Low in the water with nowhere to go. She thought of the feeling of being cornered in all parts of her life. The tiniest lifeboat with the people I know. She thought of all her friends, her family, her brother. Cold, clammy, and crowded. The people smell desperate. We'll sink any minute, so someone must go. The fight with her brother raced into her mind, his face as he forced her out of every part of his life and her friends'. The tiniest lifeboat with the people I know. Suddenly the music changed and her mind started to race. Everyone's pushing. Everyone's fighting. Archie's fight with the G&G players. Storms are approaching. There's nowhere to hide. The feeling of being trapped and scared. If I say the wrong thing or I wear the wrong outfit, they'll throw me right over the side. The silence after Jughead's outburst. I'm hugging my knees and the captain is pointing. Well who made him captain? She shouted as if she could yell back at Jughead before falling into complacency again. Still, the weakest must go. The tiniest lifeboat full of people I know. The tiniest lifeboat... full of people I know. The room was silent, Aminity starting at the floor of the stage before her head shot up as she heard clapping.

"I didn't know you could sing," Kevin smiled as he walked up to her.

"I- I can't."

"That's not what we just heard," Sweet Pea said as he sat on the edge of the stage, looking up at her.

"I was just testing out the lighting for Veronica's solo. I... I didn't mean-"

"Aminity, that was incredible," Kevin put a hand on her shoulder.

"He's right, Princess. You can sing."

"And you're just what we need."

"Wait, what does that mean?" she looked between them. "What's going on?"

"Josie said she couldn't come to rehearsal today, but I needed to run Sweet Pea through the choreography."

"'Cause I can't dance."

"Right, we're working on that," Kevin glanced at him. "You're gonna do it with him."

"What?" her eyes widened. "No, I don't think-"

"It'll be fine, Aminity. It's not like you got the lead in the show or something. It's just a rehearsal. Come on," Kevin smiled, getting down from the stage while Sweet Pea stood and walked over to her. "We've done this song before and you've seen it, so you should know the choreo, or at least enough to get Sweet Pea through," he said as he went to start the music.

"You don't have to do this if you don't want to," Sweet Pea told her quietly.

"It's okay," she sighed. "It's just a rehearsal. How bad could it be?" He tilted his head. "Nevermind. Forget I asked." The music started.

Aminity - Hey, Mr. No Name Kid. Aminity looked up at him nervously and he took her hand.

Sweet Pea - So who might you be? And could you fight for me? He spun her around, going behind her with his hands on her waist as they faced the audience. And hey, could you face the crowd? He moved her again so she faced him, their sides facing the empty seats. Could you be seen with me and still act proud. Hey, could you hold my hand? His hand moved into hers as she walked across the top of one of the tables. And could I carry you through no man's land? He picked her up behind her knees and back, spinning her off the table before setting her back down. It's fine, if you don't like me. He let go of her hand and backed up. But I would fight for you if you would fight for me. She started jogging towards him, both of his hands gently grabbing hers.

Both - Let them drag us underground. I don't care how far.

Sweet Pea - You can set my broken bones.

Aminity - And I know CPR. She placed her hands on his chest like Toni had planned and she coughed awkwardly before backing up and continuing like she was supposed to. Well, whoa. You can punch real good. You've lasted longer than I thought you would. She got back on top of the table as Sweet Pea came to stand in front of her. So, hey, Mr. No Name Kid if some night you're free, wanna fight for me? Sweet Pea grabbed her waist and picked her up, slowly lowering her to the floor.

Both - If we're still alive. I would fight for you if you would fight for me. He suddenly picked her up again, holding her in the air as the music finished before he gently put her back on the ground. Both of their chests heaved and they stared at each other before Kevin broke their concentration.

"That was great, guys! Sweet Pea, you're really starting to get it!"

I know this is a day late, but I'm on vacation, so all my days are kinda mixed up. I hope you guys liked this chapter. It's one of my favorites. The last part to this episode will be up next week! Let me know what you think!