The Midnight Club

"Two students have taken their lives," Hermione said as she stood in front of Aminity's class, personally making a trip to every class. "A third tried. The common thread linking these tragedies: all three victims were playing the game known as Gryphons and Gargoyles. I'm admitting that the game is what killed Dilton and Ben. We still don't have many answers, but from the little that we do know about it, the game seems to be targeted at impressionable, developing minds. Namely teens like yourselves. The game's quests and role playing scenarios are specifically designed to foster delusion, paranoia, and ultimately violence. As mayor, I'm officially banning Gryphons and Gargoyles. Mrs. Burble is gonna be holding extended office hours and I've set up a twenty four hour crisis hotline overseen by Kevin Keller. As a parent, I'm imploring you, take care of yourselves and stay away from this game."

***

La Bonne Nuit was silent as Reggie cleaned glasses and Aminity worked on setting up an easier system to use the light board.

"So," Reggie spoke up, but didn't say anything else.

"So," she said after a few minutes.

"I'm sorry."

"I... I don't understand."

"I'm sorry for what I said at Jughead's party. About you and the bar."

"You remember that?"

"Yeah. And I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said it."

She gave a small smile. "Thank you." They continued working in silence. "I know we've never really talked, but we might as well if we're gonna be working here together all the time."

"What do you want to talk about?"

"I don't know. What's your favorite color?"

He chuckled. "We're going there?"

She laughed. "Mine is yellow."

"Blue."

"Your turn."

He rolled his eyes, but continued anyway. "Favorite animal?"

"Dogs."

"Me too." They continued going back and forth, learning more about each other. By the end of their shift, they were laughing and had sat down with sodas. "I had no idea you were so interesting."

"I'm not sure if that's a compliment or..." They both laughed again.

"Compliment."

"You're not too bad yourself," she told him.

"Thank you."

"What?" she said after he sat there, seeming to think.

"I'm gonna sound like an absolute dork when I say this."

"I don't judge. Dorks are cool."

He chuckled. "Do you want to be my friend?"

She laughed. "We sound like five year olds." He nodded, joining her laughing. "Sure. Pinky promise," she held up her pinkie and he gave her a look. "Well, if we're gonna be children about this, might as well go full child, right?"

He rolled his eyes, but there was a sneaking smile on his lips as he entwined their pinkies. "Friends."

"Friends."

***

"That's insane," Aminity said as she and Betty walked through the woods, Betty telling her the story of the Midnight Club.

"I know. And I checked the school and found proof that her story was true." They climbed down the ladder into the bunker. "Juggy? Jug? You won't believe the story my mom told me last night," she said, but froze as they saw him, Fangs, Sweet Pea, Toni, and Cheryl sitting around a G&G gameboard. "Jug?"

"What are you guys doing?"

"Betty, Aminity," Jughead stood, "it's all making sense. All of this is becoming clear. The game, the Gargoyle King... I'm a level three and it's only a matter of time before I ascend and I get to meet him."

So, short chapter, but there wasn't really a good way to incorporate her much into this episode. I'm interested in seeing how Reggie and Aminity stay friends and how that goes! Stay safe!