American Dreams - Part 1

Gladys poured the orange juice into the cups on the table as FP smiled at her and Aminity, laughing as they ate breakfast, Jughead glancing up from his computer on his couch and watching them before continuing to eat. FP picked up some of the bacon off of his plate, reaching under the table and feeding it to Hot Dog as Gladys turned away, winking at Aminity to keep his secret.

"Eat up," Gladys said when she sat back down, FP pulling his hand back up and Aminity hiding a laugh. "'Cause when we're done, we're taking a little ride."

"Where, Mom?"

"Well, that's a surprise, Aminity, but I think you're gonna like it. You too, old man."

"Who you calling old?" FP asked.

"The man who's turning fifty tomorrow," Aminity joked and he rolled his eyes as Gladys chuckled.

"Come here," she reached for his tie. "You're all cockeyed." Aminity and Jughead shared a look, smiling as they watched their parents.

"Can Hot Dog come to the surprise?"Aminity asked once Gladys and FP pulled away.

"I don't see why not." Aminity and FP shared a high five under the table before each tossing a bit more food to the dog who loyally sat by Aminity's side.

***

"What are we doing here?" Jughead asked as they walked up to the Cooper's house.

"Well, it's an early birthday gift for your dad. I mean, for all of us. Just closed on it a few days ago." They shared a look.

"Mom..."

"Gladys, look..." FP started at the same time as the kids.

"What?" she asked before turning as the door opened. "What the hell is Alice Cooper doing in my house?"

"FP?"

"Jug?" Betty asked at the same time as her mother as they both walked out with boxes and the men smiled weakly. "Mrs. Jones. Are you the anonymous buyer?"

***

"What the hell happened here?" FP asked as they walked inside and saw the burnt wall in the living room.

"Oh, uh... We had a minor mishap with a candle. Nothing that a fresh coat of paint or a new set of curtains won't fix."

"I'm so confused," Betty interrupted her mother. "You sold our house to the Jones'?"

"Not to me," Aminity, Jughead, and FP all said at the same time.

"I bought it," Gladys spoke up. "I made an all cash offer online."

"Mom, we can't move in here."

"Why the hell not?"

"Well, because it's Betty's house." Gladys looked from her son to FP.

"There's definitely been some sort of misunderstanding," he spoke up. "I think we should all just walk away from this."

"That won't be necessary. At least, not as far as I'm concerned."

"Mom," Betty whispered.

"This house is my past. I just want to be done with it."

***

"Hey." Aminity turned to see Betty in the doorway of Polly's old room.

"Hi. I was just checking it ou-"

"It's okay," she smiled, walking in and sitting on the remaining mattress. "You know, I think the dog bed should go in that corner. That way the vent doesn't bother him," she said as she pet the dog who was laid out next to the mattress.