The Great Escape - Part 2

***Allusions to abuse

"So they said nothing? Admitted nothing?" Betty asked as they stood in the Blue and Gold office.

"All they did was lie and act like they didn't know about G&G."

"Bury the lead, Kevin. They also announced they're getting married," Josie exclaimed, letting out a devastated breath,

"Oh seriously? As what? A smokescreen?" Betty asked.

"I have no clue," Josie said, her voice muffled as her head was in her hands.

"You think that was a crazy reaction?" Reggie asked, taking off the sunglasses he had been wearing since he had walked in, even though it was night. "This is what I got when I asked my dad about that stupid game," he said of the black eye. Betty let out a sad sigh and Aminity looked down at the ground. "Why are our parents being so cagey about something that happened twenty five years ago? What aren't you telling us?" Before she could answer, Veronica came rushing in.

"Guys, whatever this is, it has to wait."

"What's wrong, V?"

"I saw Archie. He's caught up in some diabolical teen fight club and I need to break him out of juvie before he dies or kills somebody and you all have to help me."

***

"Where's Jughead?" Aminity asked as Betty walked into La Bonne Nuit.

"He's doing some quest or something, so I took his bike."

"Fair enough," she said as they sat down and began.

"Thank you all for coming," Veronica started. "As you all know, Archie's stuck behind bars. His life is in danger. Before we get started, I want to acknowledge that, yes, we are flying by the seat of our pants here, but as much as possible, we must follow the plan. The slightest deviation and Archie could wind up dead. We'll need a distraction to disorient the guards and hide Archie's play for the grate. Something we can sneak into the location easily that won't arouse suspicions. Something we make ourselves. Aminity, Reggie, Kevin, and Josie, that's your job. As for the getaway route, I want you in position for the pickup here, B," she pointed at the map that was laid on the table. "If you stick to the woods, their cars shouldn't be able to follow you."

"Just in case, might I suggest we put another precaution in place?" Betty offered.

***

Kevin, Josie, Reggie, and Aminity sat in the lab, playing around with different variations of smoke machines and putting them into different style soda cans. Once they had finally found one that would work, they started making more, but Kevin and Josie had to leave early.

"Go, we got this," Aminity assured them.

"You sure?" Kevin asked.

"Yeah," Reggie nodded and Kevin and Josie left. "How many more do you think we need?"

"Just a few more," she said, staying silent and not looking at him. "Reggie..."

"Yeah?" he glanced up at her.

"Your dad..."

"I don't really want to talk about it. And it's fine, you know. Nothing I can't handle."

"But it's not," she told him, putting her tools down. "I know, trust me."

"You too?"

She hesitated before nodding. "Not anymore, luckily, but he used to. And no matter if we can handle it physically... mentally handling it's another story."