Survive the Night - Part 1

"I refuse to accept what Ethel said. That Jason Blossom is the Gargoyle King," Jughead said as they sat in FP's office. "Even though his coffin was empty, it defies logic."

"So what? Someone stole Jason's body?" Aminity asked. "Nevermind, it's Riverdale. I wouldn't be surprised.

"Well," FP sighed, "say Ethel is off her rocker, okay, but where is Jason's body? And someone's still wearing the Gargoyle King's antlers, so it's up to you two and me to figure out who, Blossom or no Blossom."

"I keep thinking about that matchbook that Dr. Curdle found in Baby Teeth's throat."

"Yet another piece of the puzzle that makes no sense," Aminity sighed, leaning back in her seat.

"Not necessarily. Kurtz must have got that at the Maple Club, right?" Jughead continued.

"What are you getting at, boy?"

"Do you have a copy of Kurtz's mugshot I can borrow?"

***

"Did you ever see a client in here by the name of Kurtz at the Maple Club?" Jughead asked Laura. "He looked like this," he held up the mugshot.

"Yes. I never worked with him directly."

"Who did work with him?" Aminity asked.

"All of his interactions were with-"

"The Red Dahlia? Penelope Blossom?" Jughead asked and she nodded.

"Yeah."

"Out of curiosity, you never say Penelope with a young man, a young redhead, did you?"

"You mean her kid, Jason?" Jughead and Aminity glanced at each other. "Yeah, sure. He came around."

***

"Someone left mine at the door," Archie said as they all sat in a booth at Pop's, speaking lowly.

"Ours too," Jughead said. "My dad could have found it."

"Mine was waiting for me downstairs," Veronica said as she read over the invitation from the Gargoyle King again, "at the speakeasy."

"Are we sure they're not fakes?" Archie asked.

"I don't think so."

"Not that I could tell. It's not the same type of card stock or lettering that Hiram used, so I doubt it's from him," Aminity added after her brother.

"And I've been trying Betty at the Farm, but she's not answering."

"The invitations say not to tell anyone and not to bring our phones," Archie continued after a moment.

"So it's a trap."'

"What else would it be?" Aminity asked her.

"We don't really have a choice," Jughead leant back.

***

They all sat at the dinner table in silence, the boys dressed in suits provided, the girls in their dresses. Veronica's was a black dress with roses embroidered all over it along with a matching pullover. Aminity's dress was a little more elaborate, the main color being royal purple with gold designs at the top of the dress along with golden flecks throughout the bottom part which ruffled out a bit.