Prologue

Prologue

warning: there's a lot that happens in this chapter... so there's a lot of words in this one chapter, but i promise it's worth it (at least i hope it is) :}

"The Crescent Wolf Massacres"

What seems like forever ago, I lost everything.

My brothers.

My parents.

Friends.

My people.

My Pack.

My life.

I've replayed the many tragedies in my life many times since i've been here. It's all it seems I can do lately... But I remember the first losses the most. The Crescent Wolf Massacres.

"
-
"Hurry up, Mel!"

"Yeah, slow-poke! We gotta get to the lake!"

"I'm trying not to step on the bugs!" She yelled back to her brothers; Markus and Mason.

The three were wildly known as the Collins-Bennett Triplets. Mostly for their inseparable tendencies, other times for their curiosity. One thing everyone knew is one never went anywhere without the other two. The other is that they would sometimes play a series of pranks on the people. Sometimes they'd do a sibling swap just for the sake of it.

Seeing as they are indeed identical triplets, that one prank would be easy, had their eyes been the same color. Mark's are blue. Mason's are brown. And Melori's are green, although sometimes they look blue as well. That's always been a dead giveaway that spoiled their devious plans.

They were on their way to a special spot by the lake in the bayou. A place where a river met the lake. It was their favorite place to play and swim. But, each time they went, Melori would be extremely careful not to step on any live creatures.

By the time she reached the river, the boys were already topless and splashing one another. Their smiles were large and they were careless of anything else.

"MB come on! The water is warm today!" Mark urged, giggling with his brother.

"I think I'll stay dry today, bub."

"Laaame," the boys said in unison.

"Shut up."

While the boys played in the river, Mel proceeded to inspect the wildlife. From bugs to things as large as a fawn.

That fawn was a dear friend of hers. Ever since she saved her from having a foot stuck under a rock in the river, and nearly drowning. She could always tell the baby deer was the one she saved because of a little pink spot on her black snout. Besides that, each time she sees Mel, she runs straight for her.

"Hii." The little girl smiled wildly as the deer did come today. Even with her mother, who's also very fond of the girl after returning her baby. The boys always watched in amazement because no matter how hard they tried, they could never get so close to anything.

"I think it's time to give you a name, little one." She gently rubbed the baby's chin while scratching behind her ears. She then turned to the mother as well. "Maybe you too."

Her brothers had already gotten out of the river by then, slowly making their way closer to the deer. They were afraid they'd scare them away.