Nineteen

Nineteen
"Amnesty"

Day three now without a death threat from my dearest buddy Malivore. Which, granted, concerns me a little. A number of things could be happening; we could be getting spied on, he could be planning to send something bigger and badder than a tooth-eating troll. Or maybe the former already happened and he knows what we're planning and he's sent something to find what we need first. I might be letting my anxiety run free with these thoughts...

But I will take peace where I can get it these days.

Now, remember yesterday I had a chat with dear ol' Davina Claire and she was all like 'yeah so basically let's put you in danger.

Today's the next day. The day she plans to do that. What "that" is, I have no idea. Which doesn't calm my nerves at all.

Thankfully it's only lunchtime, and I have about four more classes to go until my impending death.

Yes, I'm overreacting. I do that.

Sitting at a small table with Jack and a few of her good friends, I was actually having a decent time. This one kid had some wild stories about his childhood that honestly, I was a teeny bit jealous of. I mean this dude's been to Paris, Tokyo, Peru, and like, thirty other cities in other countries. All by the age of fourteen. Unfortunately, all those trips and good stories came to an end when he died. But at least his parents remained loving and supportive, and the only reason they sent him here was so he could learn how to control the hunger he has.

Apparently, his appetite can be... excessive.

"You're lucky your parents are still around," said Kami, another witch. "You have a home to go back to after graduation."

"What happened to yours?" he asked.

"Dead. Mom had cancer, dad died trying to get her back. I guess something went wrong." Kami shrugged one shoulder then took a bite of her salad. "What's your story, Jack?"

"Long story short, my grandma was a witch. My mom never believed her because she had dementia, plus, the gene skipped her. When I came into my powers, she and her new wife were so freaked they packed their stuff and left. Never came back, ever."

"Holy shit... How could they just leave like that?"

"I stopped caring after a while. But at the very least, my mom left the house in my name. And she still pays the bills for it."

"But she still left you," Remy scoffed. "Nothing can ever excuse that."

"True. But again, I don't care anymore." Jack bumped my shoulder to get my attention. "Remy died, Kami's orphaned via death, I was abandoned... now it's your turn. What's your poison?"

I shook my head, chuckling to myself. "I don't know, it's still hard to talk about."

"Come on. It gets better when you actually try to talk about it."

"I wish everyone would stop saying that."

"We say it cause it's true," Jack confessed. "Just give the basics, nothing too detailed."

It was clear as day that neither of them would let me go without saying something. I swear it's like people here are purposefully targeting me and my tragic origins. Nobody can tell me they're not.

"Fine," I sighed. "Uh... my village was attacked and nearly half, if not exactly half, of it's people were slaughtered. Including my dad who's neck was snapped, and my mom who's heart was ripped out. I couldn't do anything but hide and watch... Oh, and that was also the first night I killed, so that's something..." At some point, all their jaws had dropped. Kami even had a piece of lettuce hanging from her mouth. I pursed my lips awkwardly while drumming my fingers on the table. "Too tragic?"