Forty-seven

I'm super late, I know. but that's nothing new lately, huh? (I'm sorry)

gonna be posting little messages on the "conversations" tab on my profile here. just to give you guys a little tast of what's on my mind between chapters. it might help ease you restles souls a bit so you know I am still working on this and I won't stop til my brain says "yep. you're done, lady." but like, it'll be a proper ending

ok yeah that's it so... enjoy? hopefully.. (this chapter's end feels weird lol)
---

"
Mel

Two seconds ago, I was sitting with Tatsuk and Inu in the middle of the arctic. Now I seem to be in some kind of forest, alone.

Everywhere I looked, I saw miles and miles of overgrown trees, shrubs… just life beyond anything I’ve seen before when I ran. Don’t get me wrong, nature in the present times is beautiful on its own, but this really outdoes it by a long shot. Everything’s so much brighter, more vibrant. The air smells completely untainted. And the sky feels so much more clear than what I’m used to.

When I turned around to take in more of the sight, I did see smoke rising steadily, give or take four miles.

I took a few steps in that direction before I was stopped by the sound of children’s laughter. I turned just in time to see three boys and a young woman whizzing past me, smiling as they ran in the direction of the smoke. My eyes trailed them for a second before falling on a familiar face ad he leaned against a tree, watching the group as well. I joined Tatsuk quietly, observing him.

He looks different here; his long, raven hair was flowing freely, aside from the little bit tied to the back to keep from his face. The furs were no longer needed, I guess, because now he only wore some kind of wrap around skirt. Well… I mean, I don’t know the technical term for it, but I suppose that’s the basics. And I wasn’t the least bit surprised to find him to be very fit. Like, Tom Cruise fit.

Good genes last a long time, thankfully. Cause I look damn good,  too.

Tatsuk turned to me and cocked his head towards them before following them himself. I kept the pace he did, only allowing myself a few feet of walking space. Ahead of him, the boys and the woman slowed to steady walking pace, but the boys were still rambunctious in their actions, one holding the other in a headlock. The last boy picker up a long stick to walk with, watching the younger two.

I couldn’t help but wonder… “Is this your family, Tatsuk?”

As if on cue, the woman called one of the boys’ name in a playful yet warning tone. Young Tatsuk released who I’m assuming is is baby brother from the headlock, playfully shoving him to the side.

As they walked at a steady pace, the boys grew quiet, only occasionally picking and pointing at various things on the ground, giggling wildly. And if the clear bond they shared as they goofed about wasn’t enough to make me smile, their mother’s own smile really made it much more beautiful.

But the joy only lasted so long as she came to a sudden halt.

Tatsuk and I paused as she did, and soon his younger self noticed his mother’s sudden unease. The other boys still walked as they were focused on something ahead of them, but then stopped as their mother called to them.

The reason behind her actions became very clear to me when I heard leaves rustling to our right, followed by a low growl. I followed the sound myself to find that a red fox that was foaming at the mouth creeping toward the unsuspecting boys ahead of Tatsuk and their mother.