Thirty-four

Thirty-four
no name again lmao.. it's tragic, really. I'm getting even more lazy :D

By noon the next day, Mark and I were up and ready to meet with Octavia to forge a plan on how we're going to infiltrate the vampires' hideout. Only, she was late.

Mark had to run down to the car to get out cooler packed with blood. It's not as fresh as the blood I got when I turned, but it satisfied the both of us enough to keep our strength.

As he finished the last of his bag, he breathed deeply in annoyance. "How do we know she didn't bail on us?"

"Many reasons. One in which is because we might be her only fighting chance of getting her son back," I said, then sipped on some of the blood. I've been good at not giving into the thirst by downing the substance as quickly as I did that burrito from yesterday. Taking little sips every few minutes has been my way of testing and slowly improving my self control.

"How can you trust her?"

I gave him a look. "Dude. She's the one that shouldn't trust you. You've been the devil's right hand for years."

"Not by choice!"

"And it wasn't Octavia's choice to help anyone."

"But it was."

I shook my head. "When someone's got ahold of something you love, the ability to choose is thrown out the window." I took another small sip. "Besides, I don't trust her. I trust her love for her son, but not her. Call it a mutual understanding of the task at hand."

A knock sounded at the door. I gave my brother a look that said 'I told you so,' and hopped up to open the door. Of course, it was Octavia, and she had that same backpack from yesterday on her back.

"Sorry I'm late. I needed to make sure I had everything."

I stepped aside to allow her in. "Had what?"

"Herbs for spells. Boosters for my magic." She took the backpack off and sat it carefully on the nearest surface, then looked at me with a smile. "Vervain bombs. Anything that might be of use."

I raised my eyebrows. "You just casually have vervain bombs...?"

She shrugged, "I am up against vampires. I should probably try working up a few chloroform bombs for the witches, actually. Something to immobilize them..."

Okay, this lady is probably the most hardcore person I've met in a long while. 

I refrained from asking any further questions about the contents of her bag. I then finished up the last of the blood and disposed of the bag.

Mark stood from his bed, stretching his arms over his head. "About this warehouse..." he prompted.

"Right," Octavia sighed. She pulled out a chair and sat in it. "You know I scouted the place yesterday, right? Well, I could only check out the entrances and exits. They blocked off any openings where the sun could shine through, so it was hard to see inside. But I know there's at least half a dozen of them in there at a time, and Amir is always close by."

"If you can't see what they're doing, then how do you know he's there?" I said.

"I created a spell that temporary gives me vampire hearing. I heard about seven different voices, including my son's. But there could be more."

"How many times have you scouted the place?" Mark asked.

"Five times, maybe. I don't know, I've been planning a way into that warehouse for weeks now."