Twenty-four

Twenty-four

"Alice of Purgatory"

"Well don't be too shocked," the woman smirked. "Surely you knew you and Ryan weren't the only ones."

"You're lying," Hope said. Her eyes had gone to normal, only, now they were filled with rage and curiosity. Sometimes both of those are reserved for Mel, who she's trying so desperately to bring back. "All of Malivore's creations flopped."

"Except the perfect son, of course. The perfect boy with a human heart, mind, and soul... Daddy's perfect vessel, my dearest baby brother, Landon Kirby."

"No, we're not related."

"Well, you wouldn't know for sure, would you?" The blonde stepped closer to them, shoving her hands in the pockets of her jacket. "Now... I know why I'm here... but why are you? You mentioned Ryan?"

"Look, lady, I don't have time for your shit," Hope spat. "My friend is missing, and I believe that asshole had something to do with it. So, you don't happen to know anything about it...or where he is, do you?"

She shook her head slowly. "Maybe I know where Ryan is. But this friend? What's their name? Perhaps if I knew, I could be of some help."

"Melori," Kaleb answered. Whoever this supposed Malivore woman tried to look like she didn't know who she was. However, that seemed like crap to Kaleb. "Melori Collins. Sound familiar?"

"Sorry, kid. Not even a little."

Hope scoffed, folding her arms over her chest. "You know something."

The blonde clapped slowly, giving the girl a sly smile. "Acute observation, wolf girl. I do know where Ryan is... but what he's up to, I couldn't say."

"Just for the record," Kaleb started. "We don't trust you."

"Not one bit," Hope agreed. Landon only stared, not believing there was another Malivore creation roaming around. "But like it or not, you're coming with us."

"Yeah, like I'm gonna listen to some kids..." As she turned her back on them to resume rummaging through the boxes before her, Hope shot out her hand to cast the very helpful (and classic) pain infliction spell on the mystery person. The one that causes multiple aneurysms to occur in the mind.

She doubled over in pain, clutching her temples. "Ahhhh! Stop! Jesus, just stop!"

Hope released her hold on the woman. "It's not a choice," she said, slowly stepping closer to the other woman, who had turned on her back to watch Hope carefully. It was clear that she was shocked by Hope's magic as it wasn't expected. She thought Hope was only a wolf, nothing more. "You'll help us find your brother, or there'll be a whole lot more where that came from. Understood?"

Reluctantly, she nodded, wise to not test the angry were-witch. "Fine."

"Good. We need to go now, then. The sooner we get there, the better." Hope turned on her heel and made her way down the stairs.

Kaleb turned back to the woman, shrugging. He cocked his head towards the stairs to signal her to follow. She rolled her eyes and hopped to her feet, dusting off her hands in the process. Landon stepped to the side and allowed her to go first. Rolling her eyes again, she slowly began walking down the steps with the boys on her trail.

When they reached the exit, they overheard Hope finishing up the debriefing. "...Malivore's first child."

"There's no way there are more children of the pit, you have got to be fucking kidding me."