(Twenty-Seven)

I.M thought about his clan members often. He missed Shownu, Wonho, Kihyun, Minhyuk, and Hyungwon. An image of their distressed faces entered his mind. He hated seeing his clan members upset. A sigh left his lips. If only, he could have spared them the emotional pain that tragic day. But there was nothing he could have done. He had to stay at the council so his clan members could be safe.

A soft hum filled the atmosphere. His attention drifted toward Jooheon. The new vampire had his head resting upon his shoulder as he slept. I.M wrapped his arm around the other vampire, the fierce need to protect growing within him. He wished there was a way to block Jooheon from all of Hangil’s ridiculous demands. Unfortunately, he didn’t have the power to stop the training sessions.

I.M turned his attention to the sound of the doorknob shaking. Someone was trying to enter the room. He narrowed his eyes at the door, lips pressed into a thin line. If Hangil opened the door, then I.M would muster up the courage to send him away. Jooheon suffered enough at the hands of the monster. His fledgling deserved to rest.

The door opened, revealing a serious expression on Boram’s pale face. I.M frowned, eyes focused on her. The last time he saw Boram was when she was taking Gunhee away. He wondered what she needed. On his right, Jooheon stirred. He sighed as his attention went back to Jooheon.

“There is much to discuss.”

Jooheon awoke, moving away from him. I.M searched Jooheon’s face and found nothing. There was no visible emotion on the other’s face, and he couldn’t feel anything in the bond. Several days have passed and he hadn’t gotten used to the blank expression on the other’s face. He remembered Jooheon when he was human. The other had been so expressive, filled with life. A sigh left his lips. It was unfair.

“I.M,” Jooheon said, looking at him and then noticed Boram in the room. “What is she doing here?”

“We don’t have much time,” she said. “This might be the only chance I have to discuss with the both of you.”

“I want to see my friends.”

Boram looked at Jooheon. “I can’t fulfil your request.”

“Then there is nothing to discuss,” Jooheon said. “If you aren’t going to let me see me friends then I don’t want to see your face.”

A spark of anger within their bond caught I.M’s attention. He turned to Jooheon, noticed the fire burning within his eyes. Over the past few days Jooheon struggled with guilt. All he wanted was to make sure his friends were still alive. There had been no updates. Instead, Hangil had taken a liking to threatening Jooheon. Every time Jooheon tried to avoid training, Hangil would remind the other of his friends’ safety.

“This isn’t the time to let your emotions get in the way,” Boram said, voice firm. “Your friends should be the least of your worries.”

Jooheon threw his head back, a laugh escaping his lips. “You want me to stop thinking about my friends, my human friends. There are vampires everywhere and you want me to stop thinking about their safety?”

“Yes.”

Jooheon narrowed his eyes. “You should be happy I still don’t know how to control my own ability. If I could use my power right now, I would throw you out of this room.”

She shook her head, a tiny smile on her lips.

“Do not get too brave, young one,” she said. “You don’t want to anger me. There is far too much we can achieve together.”

“Together?” I.M asked.

Boram nodded. “We have an idea, a plan on how to fix the problem we are currently having with Hangil. I can see Jooheon and you being useful to us.”