(Twelve)

Two weeks after Hyungwon's first visit to the hospital, he set out on his own, braving the busy streets of Seoul. It had been so long since he left his apartment unaccompanied. Every time he stepped out of the apartment Jooheon was with him. He worried that his presence was a distraction for the undergrad, but his roommate insisted he loved hanging out with him. While that may be true, he knew the ultimate reason for his best friend's clingy behavior. Jooheon was still worried about the whole vampire council business. Hyungwon knew he should be concerned as well, but things had been so good lately that he felt safe.

Hyungwon maneuvered through the crowds of people on the sidewalk, avoiding the curious glances. Generally, humans could care less about vampires unless the supernatural beings caused trouble. The government had assured the population for years that vampires were under control and that there was little reason to panic. An angry business man slapped his leather briefcase against his side as he walked past. He tried to forget the rude encounter as he continued forward.

The hospital came into view and he quickly headed inside, happy to be in a more vampire friendly location. He frowned at the sight of the new receptionist at the check-in desk. He gave her a wave but received a frown in response. He guessed she wasn't happy to be on the clock. It happened sometimes.

After signing in, he took a seat in the waiting room, eager to be done with the check-up. He had so much things to do now that he had a little more energy to spare. He would do his best to clean his room, possibly vacuum. He chuckled. Kihyun would be pleased with his decision. He wished he could call him and say 'Hey guess what? I'm cleaning', but once again it would be too dangerous. He frowned. He never knew how lonely the vampire life could be without a clan to turn toward. Yes, he had Jooheon, but his good friend couldn't understand the full problems a vampire faced.

"Chae Hyungwon?"

He looked up at the woman at the door and nodded. He followed her back to an unfamiliar room. He was instructed to sit on an examination table and he nodded getting into position. He hadn't remembered such an elaborate set up before, but he was also here for a checkup, so he brushed his curiosity aside. Seconds later, the door opened and in walked an unfamiliar vampire male. The vampire held a chart, brows furrowed.

"Oh, uhm—is Dr. Kijung not available?" he asked, disappointed the friendly vampire was nowhere to be seen.

"Who? Oh yes, I know who you are talking about. He no longer works here. My name is Dr. Kim. I will be your doctor for today," Dr. Kim said, taking a seat in a rolling stool.

Hyungwon tilted his head, confused. He had seen the vampire doctor two weeks ago. He wondered what may have happened to him. He pushed the question to the background of his mind. Maybe he would be able to find out more later.

Despite the presence of an unfamiliar doctor, the check-up went smoothly. Hyungwon participated in what he considered a physical but for a vampire. At the end of the check-up the doctor stopped jotted down notes. He wondered about the notes. He had tried his best to stick to his new diet, but it was difficult. Dr. Kim moved his eyes from the chart and looked at him.

"Based off what I've seen, you are going to need to increase your blood pill and bag intake. I can see you are on your way to doing a whole lot better. So that is good. I'll set you up with a month's supply of blood pills and bags. It is very important that you follow my instructions closely," he said.

Hyungwon nodded. "Right, thanks."

"You're welcome. It was nice meeting you," Dr. Kim said, getting up from his rolling stool. "A nurse will be in to discuss with you further. See you in a month."