(Eleven)

Hyungwon removed his socks and dug his toes in the warm sands of Eurwangni Beach. He closed his eyes, enjoying the warmth of the sun on his face. All the myths he heard growing up about vampires were incorrect and he was pleased. He hated to think he would shy away from something as hopeful and bright as light.

A frown stretched across his lips as the memories of last night slipped into his mind. He remembered running, devastated and lost. Part of him wanted to find a slayer and end his miserable existence, but he pushed the thought away immediately. Too many terrible things would happen if he was discovered. He sat in a dark alley for a while, pondering his next course of action. Once he spotted the sun peeking over the horizon he knew where he had to go. Eurwangni beach was the closest beach to the city, so he was familiar with the tranquil atmosphere. Jooheon and him had frequented the beach enough during their tougher semesters.

"Jooheon," he said, voice barely above a whisper.

An image of Jooheon's tear-soaked face came to mind and he gasped. He placed a shaking hand over his mouth, trapping any more sound from escaping his lips. There were a few locals and tourists on the beach. He didn't want anyone to look his way. It was clear he was a vampire and it was better if he seemed harmless. He didn't want anyone to get suspicious. 

The shouts and excited screams of children surrounded him as he drew his knees to his chest. He ignored the stench of dried blood and focused on his new plans. First, he needed to find a place to stay, but that required money. In his panic, he left in nothing but his red soiled pajamas, so he didn't have cash. He knew he looked bad. There had been no time to dress presentably, nor did he feel the need to get dressed properly when he left.

A sad laugh left his lips as he watched the children kicking up the glistening blue waters. He reviewed last night's events in his mind, a knot growing within his chest. He drank a month's worth of blood bags and then tried to attack his sweet roommate Jooheon. His roommate shouldn't have been subjected to such horror. He had already been assaulted before. Hyungwon was the worst kind of monster.

The only thing that saved his roommate was Hyungwon's ability to break out of his state of unbearable bloodlust. Although, in the end it didn't matter because he still attacked Jooheon and ended years of friendship. He didn't deserve to share the same living space with his friend, so he left. He took another look at the state of his clothing and frowned. A large red stain spread from his collar toward the bottom of his shirt. He wondered why the humans around him hadn't noticed his state of disarray yet.

He looked to his left and frowned at the couple staring at him from their blanket. The man whispered to the lady, brows furrowed. Hyungwon gulped, turning his eyes toward his feet. If they made a call, he was certain the authorities would be happy to get him. Lone vampires were the best targets for slayers and the police.

"Hyung?"

Hyungwon paused, mouth dry and eyes wide. He turned to his right just as a pair of legs came into his line of sight. He looked up at the concerned look in Jooheon's eyes. Jooheon pulled up zipper of his jacket as a gust of wind passed by, rustling his hair. He noticed the large shirt in his roommates' right hand. He tilted his head to the side, confused. Jooheon took a sit by him in the sand and then handed the shirt to him. Hyungwon stripped the stained piece of clothing from his body and pulled the new shirt over his head.

"How did you find me? Why did you find me?"

Jooheon looked out at the crystal-clear waters. "Hyung, am I not your best friend? Why wouldn't I know where to find you. We've come to this beach all the time. Plus, I couldn't leave you by yourself."

Hyungwon's grip tightened on the blood- stained shirt in his hands.

"You have been protecting me for years. It is my turn to look out for you," Jooheon said.