(Ten)

Hyungwon's eyes cracked opened at the sound of Jooheon's loud "Good-bye" early Wednesday morning. He wanted to shout at his friend for disturbing his sleep, but he decided to hold back. A few rays of sunshine peeked through the closed blinds of his window. He winced at the brightness. He rolled around in bed, trying to find a better position to avoid the light. Maybe the myths were true about vampires and light. He pushed the idea aside, eyelids closing again as he drifted back to sleep.

His eyes flew open at the sound of someone pounding at his door. A curse almost left from between his lips as the knocking continued. He licked at his lips, reaching for the clock on his night stand. The time read 6p.m. and he last opened his eyes around 10a.m. Long naps were his forte, so he wasn't concerned by the duration of time he slept. He sniffed the air, curious about the delicious vanilla scent surrounding him.

"Wonnie hyung, have you been asleep all this time?"

Hyungwon turned toward the door, ignoring the sugary scent. "Yes."

Jooheon stood in the doorway, eyes filled with concern. "Are you sure you are okay? I feel you've been getting more tired lately."

He turned away from his roommate, irritated. "Fine. Close the door."

"Okay, hyung, if you say so," Jooheon said.

Silence settled between them. He heard a sigh and then the door closed. Hyungwon frowned. He shouldn't have been so snappy with his roommate. The other boy was just worried about him. He pulled the comforters up to his chin as tremors traveled down his body. Vampire shouldn't experience chills. The myths must be untrue. Vampires were almost as vulnerable to sickness as humans. He tried to shut his eyes, but he couldn't sleep more even if he tried.

He threw his legs over the side of his bed. "Joo?"

He stood up from the bed and began to walk. Each step he took toward the door, a spike of pain shot up each leg. He paused for a second to give his body a chance to recover, but there was no progress. His legs continued to throb as he moved. At the door, he wiped his forehead. He stared at his palm, but there was no moisture. There was no sweat. He pushed the strange phenomenon aside and entered the living room.

Jooheon looked at him from his relaxed position on the couch, turning his eyes away from his cellphone. "Hyungwon? Oh, you don't look so good."

Hyungwon stood in the middle of the living room. "I suddenly feel nauseous. I didn't know vampires could get sick."

Jooheon analyzed him, brows furrowed. "Maybe you should drink. You have been avoiding it. I think you shouldn't."

Hyungwon scoffed. "I don't need it."

Jooheon stood up from the couch, tucking his phone into his pocket. "Right. Well, I have an exam tomorrow. I'll be studying if you need me."

Hyungwon walked over to Jooheon, placing a hand on his shoulder, a frown on his lips. "I'm sorry for snapping at you. I just don't feel well."

Jooheon nodded. "I understand. Being a vampire is hard."

Hyungwon nodded but stopped when his head started to pound from a sudden headache. He rested his forehead against Jooheon's shoulder, exhaustion sweeping over him. Gentle fingers ran up the back of his head and then down the back of his neck. His lips twitched into a smile at his friend's attempt to soothe his aching head. A sigh left his lips. He couldn't keep his best friend from his studies, so he removed his head from his friend's shoulder. He stood up straight, giving Jooheon a warm smile.

"Hyungwon I-"

"I'm fine, Joo. Go, get some work done."

"Yeah, uhm, okay."