(Seventeen)

Bright sun rays shone through the large open windows of the penthouse. I.M set his elbows on the table, eyes focused on council member Chorong. He was ready to hear what the older vampire had to say. He didn't know what to expect, but he hoped the explanation would satisfy his need for answers.

Kihyun got up from the table, pushing his chair back. "I'll get you something to drink, Council member Chorong."

I.M followed Kihyun's movements with his eyes, lips pressed in a thin line. He wanted to smile at Kihyun's hospitality, but he decided against it. Chorong was a member of the council. The council had Hyungwon. He didn't think they needed to be generous hosts to a kidnapper.

Kihyun returned from the kitchen with a pitcher of blood and a glass. He poured a decent amount of blood into the glass and then handed it to Chorong. She accepted the glass, a soft look in her eyes. I.M wanted to grab the glass out of her hands. She didn't deserve Kihyun's good manners.

"Thank you, Kihyun," she said. "I have never seen such warm hospitality from another clan before. Usually, clans fear council visits. I almost feel welcome."

"You shouldn't feel welcome. We don't want you here," I.M said.

"I.M," Shownu said. "Please, don't."

I.M narrowed his eyes, arms crossed. "No, I don't get it. Why should we let her sit here with us? She is apart of the same council that is torturing Hyungwon right now. The same council that nearly got Jackson killed."

"Our intention was never to torture Hyungwon," Chorong said. " And also, Jackson would have been fine if you all hadn't showed up unannounced."

Shownu glanced at Chorong. "Why have you come here?"

"Like I said before, I can't tell you everything," she said. "But I do want to say this, I need your cooperation for our plan to work. Hangil isn't the leader I thought he was and therefore we must be cautious. There are certain steps we must take."

"What steps?" Shownu asked.

Chorong took a sip from the glass, and then she spoke. "I can't tell you the steps, yet. But what I need for you all to do is to leave Hyungwon with the council."

Minhyuk leant forward. "Why do you think we are going to listen to you when we don't trust you?"

She took several small sips from the glass. After she finished her drink, she set the empty glass on the table. A tiny smile formed on her lips as she looked at them. I.M wanted to scream. Every tiny smile or smirk from a council member reminded him they were dealing with monsters.

"Don't trust me then," she said. "But it would be in your best interest to refrain from showing anymore reckless behavior like I saw today. Do not interact with Hyungwon or even attempt to remove him from the council. Instead, go back to work, focus on your lives. Wait patiently."

"Wait patiently?" Wonho asked, eyes on her. "I don't understand. What are we waiting for?"

She didn't respond.

"I just don't think I can do that," Wonho said. "Leaving Hyungwon behind was the worst. I don't think I want to wait for anything. Hyungwon is supposed to be home with his clan and his friends."

Chorong shook her head. "You don't seem to realize the bigger picture, but that is just fine. I don't blame you. There is so much you don't know. Nevertheless, it is best if you stay out of the way."

"You expect the MX clan to sit by while their youngest member is tortured?" JB asked. "You really don't know the power of a clan bond, do you? No clan will ever sit back while their member suffers."