(Thirty-Three)

I.M was speechless. He remembered the last time he saw Jooheon’s friends they had been running away from a shifter. All he remembered from that time was trying his best to protect the humans. It had been hours since he last saw them. He never would have imagined the horrible situation happening in front of him.

On either side of Gunhee I.M noticed a petite blonde vampire woman and a fiery red-haired vampire man. They held Gunhee’s hands, brows furrowed in concentration. His eyes widened as he fully analyzed the condition of the human. He nibbled at his bottom lip, worried. Gunhee groaned, squeezing the two vampires’ hands as the pain became more unbearable. Hyungwon and Jooheon knelt on either side of Gunhee, worried eyes focused on their friend.

“Has anyone called an ambulance?” Kihyun asked, standing next to him. “Shouldn’t we just take him to the hospital?”

Jinyoung looked at Kihyun. “It’s complicated.”

“How is it complicated?” Minhyuk asked. “Isn’t it simple? We just call them.”

“Min,” Youngjae said. “Look at the state of this place. I’m sure what happened here is all over the news. What ambulance would risk coming out here?”

"The humans are always watching us," Jackson said. "It's possible all hospitals have been warned about this area. Maybe they were told not to come here at all if anyone called from this location. Plus, we don’t know if an ambulance can even help."

Jooheon looked up from his friend, voice wavering. “Of course, the ambulance could help. He needs medical attention. He’s in so much pain and the injuries look so bad.”

I.M frowned, noticing the two vampires seated on the ground sharing a look with each other. It was obvious they knew something that they didn’t know about the situation. The Ahgase clan mirrored the same look. The same ominous feeling washed over him.

Bambam made eye contact with him, voice soft. “When Youngjae found them, these two were already here, trying their best to help them. Unfortunately, Yugyeom’s condition was too bad. Mark had to turn him right away.”

Mark stood next, sadness shining from his eyes. “I wish I could have helped Gunhee too, but I had already risked a lot by turning Yugyeom. I had a previous clan, so it was risky turning even one of them. My clan was a small one and we lost our leader early on but still it was risky.”

“It looks like you are helping our friend,” Hyungwon said, looking at the two vampires. “But I don’t understand what you are doing.”

“Hana and Hangyeol are trying to stabilize Gunhee,” JB said. “If they leave his side, he will die instantly. Even if there was an available ambulance now, he wouldn’t make it to the hospital without the power they possess. But Youngjae is correct. It may be difficult for an ambulance to come out here. However, there is another option available to him.”

“What option is that?” Shownu asked, analyzing the human’s condition.

JB glanced at I.M. “You turn him.”

I.M’s eyes widened, glancing at the serious expression on JB’s face. He didn’t understand. How had things gotten this bad? Months ago all he worried about was the council monthly meetings and whether or not he’d be able to handle the judgement from their former council leader. All he used to worry about was his job, his clan members, and the best way to navigate his vampire life.

“Gun,” Jooheon said.

A strangled sob left Gunhee’s lips as he squeezed both the vampires’ hands. Neither vampires minded. Their red eyes watched him carefully. I.M frowned.