(Eighteen)

I.M ran, pumping his arms and legs, focused on reaching the council building in time. It wasn't fair. Pressure built behind his eyes as he thought about Hyungwon. The new vampire had experienced so much pain and suffering. I.M licked his lips, worry blossoming within his chest. He didn't have a plan. There was no possible way to block Hyungwon's impending death, but I.M refused to give up. Their youngest member deserved to be reunited with his clan and his friends.

Several feet away the council building came into view. I.M reached the entrance and pushed the doors open. He traveled through the rotunda and toward the staircase. Hyungwon was located on the lowest floor in the building. The sound of shoes slapping against the floor interrupted the once silent corridors. His clan wasn't too far behind. He had to get to Hyungwon. He had to save him.

I.M pushed through the doors as his mind drifted toward an unsettling future. Hyungwon could die at  any second. They could lose Hyungwon forever. He ran, feet thumping against the floor as he pushed himself to move faster. Any second now they could destroy his fledgling. He was wasting too much time.

The white corridor led to a spacious white room filled with tables. A large oak desk rested against a wall to the left. Leaning against the desk was Hangil. The council head read over a clipboard in his hands, a frown on his lips. A white- hot rage consumed I.M as he bolted for the vampire leader. Hangil had to pay for his crimes.

"I.M!" Kihyun yelled, running behind him.

I.M reached out, ready to inflict as much harm on their leader as possible. "Hangil, you monster!"

Shownu appeared in front of him, an expression of disapproval on his face. A pair of large hands reached out, grabbed his shoulders, and stopped him from reaching the other vampire. He gritted his teeth. Shownu needed to get out of his way. Shownu really needed to move.

Hangil looked up from his notes, brows furrowed. "And what are you all doing here?"

I.M looked around Shownu, eyes narrowed. If he could escape Shownu's grasp, he would tell Hangil exactly why he traveled to the council. He had a long list of insults ready. He glanced at the sternness in Shownu's eyes and frowned. The sound of hurried footsteps stopped after a second. His eyes drifted to his left. Kihyun stood next to him, a storm brewing within his dark red eyes. I.M gave him one look before returning his attention to Shownu.

Shownu let him go and then turned to face Hangil.

"Council Head Hangil, we are here for Hyungwon," Shownu said, calmness disguising his anger.

Hangil smirked.

"Hm, well unless you came here to watch Hyungwon suffer a slow and painful death, then you wasted your time visiting. I'm certain the poison has taken effect by now. Might as well head back home. Now if you excuse me," Hangil said, walking away. "I'm very busy. I have places to be."

I.M moved around Shownu, rushing toward Hangil. He knew Hangil was lying. If Hyungwon had been killed, I.M would have felt the agonizing pain of death. No, Hyungwon wasn't dead, but he wasn't safe either. It was obvious he was still locked up and still very much in trouble. I.M needed to rescue his fledgling from the monstrous grasp of their vampire leader.

"I'm not leaving without Hyungwon this time," I.M said, fingers grasping Hangil's sleeve.

A pair of dark red eyes met his own. "I would urge you to calm down, young one. I could end you right now and then after I'd make sure to destroy your entire clan. I suggest you think wisely about what you are planning to do next."

I.M released Hangil's sleeve from his grasp and took a step back.

"Wise choice. I'm in a bad mood. I wasted all my time on a useless sixth vampire. He couldn't even help me achieve my goal. So, all of you will exit the building or you all will be forced to exit."