Chapter 40

(the song above is literally such a kam song i'm screaming- please listen to it! also, be prepared for a long chapter!)

"Hey, where's Tam?" I whisper to Fitz, who was standing next to me. I had been standing at the altar for 15 minutes now, while the organ kept playing a snazzy rendition of "Here Comes The Bride."

Fitz raises an eyebrow at me, looking amused, "Didn't you hear? He decided not to marry you."

I drop the bouquet in my hands, which wilts as it falls to the floor (although I'm not sure why I'm holding a bouquet, isn't that supposed to be done by Tam?). "What? Why?"

Fitz laughs, his voice suddenly becoming more high-pitched and menacing as his appearance transforms into a woman in a black cloak.

Lady Gisela—my mother.

"You arrived to your wedding half-naked, Keefe. No one would ever marry you."

The wilted bouquet on the floor instantly crystallizes and shatters, making Mother's statement so much more ominous. No, Tam loves me, he's going to marry me today—wait, I'm naked?

My eyes widen in shock as I look down at my appearance to find that I'm dressed only in my boxers and crown. I yelp, as clothes suddenly form on my body, turning and running as her laughter follows me.

"Get away from me!" I shout, grabbing the nearest plate (which happens to be a plate of ripplefluffs) and tossing it at her. I don't want her here. Why can't I just have a normal wedding?

"Tam!" I shout, frantically searching for my silver boy.

"Tam!"

I sit up in my bed, feeling uncomfortably sweaty and nervous as I dash out the door, heading to the guest wing.

I push open the door to Tam's room, breathing a sigh of relief to see him peacefully asleep there. 

His eyes flutter open slightly.

"Keefe?" He murmurs, sitting up, "What happened?"

I sit on the edge of his bed, running a hand through my hair. "Just a bad dream."

Tam laces his fingers through mine, and I relax as his comforting vanilla scent surrounds me, like a warm hug. "If you don't mind me asking, what was it about?"

I sigh, "Our wedding. Apparently, you decided not to marry me because I showed up to the wedding in boxers. And then Gisela was Fitz. And then I had to attack her with ripplefluffs."

Tam's laughter is silent, but he's laughing hard enough that he's wheezing. As much as I should be offended by the fact that he's laughing at me, his laughter makes me smile.

His laughter finally subsides as he straightens up to look at me, his voice taking on a more serious tone, "As hot as you are without clothes, I'd rather prefer that you showed up to our wedding looking amazing."

I laugh, the noise a reprieve from the nerves still buzzing in me. Why was I still so panicked?

I stand up, pulling Tam up, too, "C'mon, let's go get married."

Y'know what?

My dream was wrong. The music playing now is nothing like "Here Comes The Bride."

It's far better, courtesy of Linh and the windchimes that she's set up.

The first wedding is the private wedding, with just my friends here to see Tam and I get married. The decor is amazing, and the air is pleasantly chill, laced with the scent or the flowers that are decorating the gazebo that we're getting married in.