Chapter 5

For once, out of nerves, I had woken up early.

The question is, why am I nervous? It's just a bunch of women, and I'm great at flirting. It can't be worse than the paparazzi, right?

Jensi nearly fell over when he saw that I was already bathed, so he quickly picked out my clothes for the day. 

Since the Selected were coming, I had to, naturally, look my hottest. 

But of course, I need to be comfortable, too. Comfort over fashion is the way to go. Unless, of course, I'm showing off for someone. Then I'll willingly be uncomfortable, but I'm not showing off for the Selected yet, so I'll do what I want.

For once, I actually don't like what Jensi chose for me. So I brush him aside, entering the depths of my closet.

When I come out of the closet, Jensi's already left, which is fine, because I want to style myself today. Hopefully this won't turn out to be a mess. 

I choose a nice white dress shirt that's just a little crumpled, dark blue suit pants that are ideal for hiding stains, and a blue suit jacket that's so dark it could be black. The jacket has nice silver accents on the buttons and breast pocket, in a delicate design befitting of royalty, and I slip it on. 

I check the mirror, and damn, I really do look good. I unbutton the first two buttons of my shirt,  because that's a point with the ladies, run a hand through my hair, and I'm ready.

Ah, wait, not quite. I need to assert my status as royalty, so I quickly pick up my pin of the Sencen Crest, pinning it to my jacket. The design is of two hands holding an emerald candle, and the silvery design goes nicely with the jacket. 

And lastly, my crown, made of delicately spun gold, resting lightly atop my hair. 

I step out of my room, and Errol rushes me down to the large throne room, where I'll be receiving the Selected. As usual, Father and Mother aren't there, apparently in a meeting with their advisors. What do they even need to be advised about right now?

In the corner of my eye, I can see photographers lurking about the room, so I pose for them, making sure that I look my best. My impromptu photoshoot is interrupted by the girls slowly filing in.

My heart pounds so loudly that I can hear the echo of it in my ears, and I blindly smile and wave as each girl passes by with a curtsy, my eyes skimming over their faces. 

To be honest, most of them aren't all that remember-able. Sure, some of them are pretty, and some of them have such low-cut dresses it makes me sweat, but I don't really feel any sorta spark just from seeing them.

And then she enters.

She's wearing a ruby red gown that goes until the floor (which really brings out her eyes), a crystal necklace 'round her throat, and golden tresses down her shoulders. Her brown eyes finally spark my brain into motion, and I give her a dazzling smile.

Nervousness and worry comes off her in waves, and I fan the air.

"Calm down, sweetheart, or you'll faint." I sigh, moving forward a bit.

"Foster, right?" I ask, taking her hand and giving it a kiss.  She gives me a tiny smile, eyes sparkling. My Empath ability kicks in at the physical contact—I can feel her stress and nerves bundled up in her stomach, with little flutters of happiness and excitement, like butterflies.

"Yeah, um, that's me." She seems caught off-guard by my affection.

"I'm pretty sure I'll see you later." I smile again, ushering her towards the door where the other girls were.