Chapter 18

"Hey, Dex."

I'm visiting said boy's room in the guest wing, since I've got to break the news to him. His room is positively littered with spare parts and gadgets, with several beeping and blinking things along the walls. As a Technopath, it only made sense that his room was like this. 

Dex looks up from where he's working on something at his desk. "Oh, hey, Keefe!" He gives me a dimpled smile, and I grin back at him.

"Okay, so, um," I clear my throat, straightening up from where I'm slouched against the doorframe. "Well. You're not my guard anymore?"

That was such a great way to break it to him. So informative. 

Dex blinks a few times, before asking, "Why?"

"Since the rebel attacks are coming closer, Dad wanted to get new bodyguards that are better equipped for these kinds of things. Don't worry though, you're getting a bodyguard too!"

Actually, why is Dex getting a bodyguard? That's a little weird. Maybe because his family is important and helpful to the palace? Oh well. 

"I- uh- okay." He suddenly gets up, fiddling with his invention a little. "Wait, am I still staying in the palace?"

I give him a nod-shrug mixture, which seems to satisfy him, and then walks past before. Before he leaves, he tells me to keep a watch on his gadget, which I agree to. It's the least that I can do. 

A few minutes pass, and I straighten up, walking towards the gadget. I wonder what it does.

"Hey, Sencen."

I turn to see Tam looking at me curiously.  I wave at him with a grin.

"What the hell are you doing?" Tam raises an eyebrow as he leans against the doorframe. He folds his arms across his chest, his muscles flexing under his slim black shirt. 

I sweep a hand through my hair absentmindedly. "Dex asked me to keep an eye on this while he goes to do something."

Tam smirks. "I'm betting he's making out with a certain teal-eyed-"

"Biana?" I screech.

Tam rolls his eyes. "You're even more of an idiot than I thought you were. And no, not Biana."

"So then who is it-" I stop mid-sentence, staring down at the gadget. It was heating up, and starting to make a high-pitched noise.

That can't be good.

"I think we should get out of here." I tell Tam, who nods as we back away from the object. But not fast enough.

I'm temporarily blinded by a bright light that fills the room. After it fades, I rub my eyes, blinking, trying to clear my sight.

"Hey, are you okay?" I look over my shoulder to see Tam groaning, rubbing his head like he has a headache. I reach a hand out to help him up, but as soon as our hands touch, he lets go like he's been electrocuted.

"Hey guys, what happened?" Dex walks in, and I startle, jumping up. As I jump up, the shadows of the room move, too.

We all stare at the shadows. 

"Uh, Keefe, that's not normal, right?" Tam frowns, looking down at his own hands. He waves them around, but the shadows don't react, and he now looks panicked.

I experimentally lift my hand, and the shadows move along with it. "This is not normal, no. Are you okay?"

"What did you guys do?" Dex looks a bit nervous as he runs over to his invention.